No. 8 women’s lacrosse suffers second straight loss against No. 2 Maryland

The Cavaliers fell behind early and were defeated 16-6

Senior attacker Avery Shoemaker had two goals and an assist for Virginia in their loss to Maryland Wednesday night.

The No. 8 Virginia women’s lacrosse team lost to No. 2 Maryland by a score of 16-6 at Klöckner Stadium Wednesday evening. The loss was the team’s second straight, following a defeat at No. 1 Boston College.

Maryland (13-0, 3-0 Big Ten) jumped out to a 6-0 lead and held Virginia (9-5, 1-4 ACC) scoreless for nearly 20 minutes. Freshman midfielder Lillie Kloak ended the scoring drought for the Cavaliers, as she found the back of the net with 10:33 remaining in the first half. 

The Terrapins responded with five consecutive goals, extending their lead to 11-1 with 3:21 remaining. Virginia was able to take some momentum into halftime, as senior attacker Avery Shoemaker scored twice and junior midfielder Nora Bowen added another goal to cut the deficit to seven. 

Bowen scored again to open the second half, and the Cavaliers were only down 11-5 with 27 minutes remaining. However, Maryland went on a 4-0 run to extend the lead back to double digits. 

Virginia was held scoreless for nearly 20 minutes again, but senior attacker Angie Loynaz scored with 8:47 remaining to make the score 15-6. Maryland added one more goal before the game ended and won by a 10-goal margin. 

Shoemaker and Bowen finished with two goals apiece for Virginia, while Kloak and Loynaz rounded out the scoring. Shoemaker also recorded an assist. 

Junior goalkeeper Charlie Campbell stopped 7 of 23 shots on goal from the Terrapins. Maryland senior attacker Caroline Steele and junior attacker Brindi Griffin led the Terrapins with four goals each. Graduate student Erica Evans recorded a hat trick. Senior goalkeeper Megan Evans stopped 9 of 15 shots from Virginia.

Virginia has now lost two games in a row against the two highest-ranked teams in the country. The Cavaliers return to the field Sunday at 1 p.m., when they take on Penn State at Panzer Stadium in State College, Pa. Virginia returns home to face Louisville Saturday, April 13.