University receives energy award

By conserving energy, the University recently received the 1999 Green Lights Education Partner of the Year award from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. The University received the award for its success in global climate protection, achieved through the installation of energy-efficient technologies in facilities.

"The University of Virginia serves as a remarkable example of environmental leadership," Jean Lupinacci, director of the EPA's Energy Star Building and Green Lights Partnership programs, said in a statement.

The University's department of facilities has worked to upgrade and replace ventilation and heating and cooling agents over the past decade.

In 1998 replacing window air conditioners and inefficient chiller units with connections to central chiller plants saved the University more than $500,000, a press release states.

Such renovations have cut the University's total energy bill by hundreds of thousands of dollars each year, University Energy Program Manager Tony Motto said.

Engineering students also have helped conserve energy.

ENGR 164, Engineering Design, is a first-semester, first-year course that invites students to analyze energy use in selected buildings around Grounds and design cost-effective, energy-saving upgrades.

These projects gave students experience in dealing with problems faced by engineers. Their reports served as blueprints for facilities management.

"The partnership of students and skilled professionals has proved mutually beneficial," University Director of Utilities Cheryl Gomez said.