Homecoming draws 1,000 alumni

Alumni Association members increased their attendance at Homecoming weekend this year by 200 over last year, with about 1,000 graduates in attendance.

Homecoming weekend activities began Friday and ended yesterday. The Alumni Association sponsors two annual activities, Homecoming weekend each fall and Reunions Weekend in June.

The nine different reunion committees met Friday to plan next June's reunions. Classes invited to this spring's Reunions Weekend will be all of those in five-year increments from 1955 to 1995.

Four groups of relatively new alumni representing the classes from 1996-1999 attended Friday's biannual meeting.

The Alumni Council held this year's Mid-Autumn Party Saturday at the Alumni Association before the major attraction of the weekend kicked off - the Virginia vs. Wake Forest football game.

Yesterday was devoted to continued meetings of Alumni Association members.

The Mid-Autumns tradition was added to the Homecoming weekend five years ago by the younger generation of alumni, said Jason Life, Alumni Association class director of trustees and reunions.

Life said a large percentage of people who attended the party were graduates of the past 12 years.

During the Homecoming festivities, a specialized Inaugural Greek Homecoming took place for past members of the University's fraternities and sororities. The presidents of many fraternities and sororities sent invitations to former Greek students.

The fraternities and sororities also held special alumni functions ranging from alumni dinners to sitting together at the football game and pre- and post-game barbecues.

Bridget Toomey, Athletic Department sports promotionalist, said the Greek Homecoming is a "great way to build a tradition."

Assoc. Director of Alumni Affairs Wayne Cozart said interest in the Homecoming Weekend has recently grown and it is a "new emerging tradition."

Cozart said more variety in group activities will make the homecoming "a more comprehensive activity."