Rookies help Cavaliers build toward future

These guys have been hyped for so long they're starting to resemble a George Lucas production.

When the dust had settled and the first recruiting effort of the Pete Gillen regime was in the books, the reviews were outstanding. The final tally - four incoming first years and a junior college transfer - was almost unanimously regarded as one of the top five recruiting classes in the country.

Virginia's binge filled all of the major basketball food groups: a tough New York City point guard, a bruising power forward with the wingspan of a condor, a do-everything shooting guard, a versatile rebounding forward and a shot-blocking center.

With a roster of only six healthy scholarship players last season, Gillen was forced to throw first years Chris Williams and Adam Hall directly into the ACC fire.

Majestic Mapp, Travis Watson, Roger Mason, Stephane Dondon and Jason Rogers will not receive such a trying baptism, but the Cavaliers do expect significant contributions from this banner class.

"We don't think they're a bunch of paper tigers," Gillen said. "Time will tell how good. I think they're going to compete for starting jobs. Whoever earns it, earns it. But I would not be surprised if we have some of our new guys in the starting lineup."

Barring an alien abduction of third year Donald Hand, Mapp probably will not start at the point for the Cavs, but anticipate seeing a lot of the 6-foot-2 Bronx native. He will run the show whenever he is on the floor, including the frequent instances when he and Hand comprise the backcourt.

"The thing that's impressed me this fall is his leadership," said Asst. Coach Tom Herrion, who played a crucial role in recruiting all five newcomers. "For a freshman, he's not afraid; he's very vocal. He's a great, great passer, especially in the open court. He finds the right guys. I think the kids are really excited to play with a pure point guard."

Mapp, Virginia's lone 1999 McDonald's All-American, says it just comes with the position.

"I wouldn't shy away from being a leader because that's what I've been all my life," he said. "A true point guard knows what it takes to win, what it takes for everyone else" as well.

One of Mapp's prime targets should be Travis Watson, who ranked among the country's elite power forwards last year. The 6-foot-7, 251-pound Brookneal, Va., native used a soft touch around the hoop and ferocious rebounding instincts to lead Oak Hill Academy to a 31-0 record and the unofficial high school national championship.

"Soon down the road, he'll be a name you won't forget," said Rogers, who gets to bang with Watson each day in practice. "He can be physical or smooth at times. He's very difficult to defend against. I'm glad he's on my team and I'm not playing against him."

Watson cautioned against being pigeonholed as a bruising rebounder, but said he is willing to fill whatever role is needed.

"I'm not going need to shoot 50 times a game," he added. "If all I have to do is get a rebound to win the game, I'll get that rebound."

Mason, a 6-foot-5 two-guard from Good Counsel High School in Maryland, has expressed a similar desire to fill in wherever needed.

"I can contribute any way necessary," said the Silver Spring native. "One game, I might score a lot of points. Another game, I might have assists. And hopefully every game I'll be playing good defense."

Mason - who was overshadowed by Kentucky recruit Keith Bogans and North Carolina signee Joe Forte, both star guards at nearby DeMatha High School - is eager to prove himself again in college.

"With him, you're dealing with a young man that's extremely focused right now," Herrion said. "You've got to remember, he was one of the best players in the D.C. area, but never got the respect he deserved because of Bogans and Forte, who are both very, very good players. [Then] he came to Virginia and was kind of in the shadow of some of the other guys in our class who maybe got a little bit more exposure."

Even with seven or eight players pushing for time between shooting guard and small forward, Gillen promised to somehow find room for Mason.

"Don't worry about him playing," Gillen said. "If he's healthy, he's going to play a lot. Where, when, I don't know."

Rogers, however, likely will not play as much as his fellow first years. In fact, he may not play at all this season. The Cavs have not decided whether to redshirt the 6-foot-10, 216-pound center, who may need to get stronger before he can make any sort of dent in the ACC.

"We'd love to have another big guy, but we want to make sure he's going to be able to contribute," Gillen said of his tallest player. "He's going to be a heck of a player, there's no doubt about that. The question is when."

"I need more time to lift weights and just bulk up," said Rogers, a Staunton, Va., native. "It's just one step at a time. I have no problem sitting back and watching because everybody goes through a learning process. Right now, it's still my turn to just learn."

With this injection of young blood, the Cavaliers are happy to also welcome a 22-year-old with two seasons of junior college ball under his belt. Dondon, who grew up mostly in France but also spent some time in Africa, combines rebounding skills with an outside shooting touch, enabling him to play at either forward spot. The 6-foot-8, 239-pounder has two years of eligibility remaining after transferring from Collin County Community College in Texas.

"He brings physical maturity and emotional maturity," Herrion said. "He's versatile, he's talented and he's going to make a big impact on our program."

This influx of talent has Virginia itching to get the season underway, but Herrion cautioned against expecting too much right away from this group.

"It's very hard in any league, especially in our league, for many freshmen to have a huge impact," he said. "We won't know about this class for maybe two, three years down the road. But we're really excited."