Cavs speed past Greyhounds

After suffering an 83-61 drubbing at the hands of Duke Sunday, the Virginia women's basketball team defeated Loyola 77-63, even though the Cavs played much of the game without first-year Schuye LaRue.

With LaRue sitting for the entire first half, the Cavs struggled initially. After starting the game on a 10-2 run, Virginia (4-3) let the Greyhounds (2-5) tie it at 22.

But the Cavs closed the half with an 11-0 run fueled by one three by forward Lisa Hosac and a pair of trifectas by guard Telisha Quarles.

"We definitely needed that" run at the end of the half, Hosac said. "Going into halftime close would've really hurt us."

The Cavs kept up that positive momentum after the break. Loyola only pulled within single digits once in the second half.

Hosac finished with a game-high 22 points on nine-of-15 shooting. Quarles chipped in 13.

LaRue, who came into the game as Virginia's leading scorer and rebounder, didn't enter the game until the 16:24 mark of the second half.

"She's basically in the doghouse," Cav Coach Debbie Ryan said. "She's got to take care of some business pretty quickly here or she's gonna be sitting out a lot more."

While Ryan hesitated to go into specifics about the cause behind LaRue's benching, she said that it had "more to do with academics."

"She has to take care of getting some work done," Ryan said. "She just needs to buckle down. She just basically broke a rule."

"We have a code of conduct and in our code of conduct players have particular punishments for each transgression and after you accumulate more than two transgressions you sit out a half," she added. "Next time she'll be suspended. ... She has [learned her lesson]. Right now I think it's a little overwhelming for her."

Having to sit through an entire half of action was difficult for LaRue.

"It was hard just watching," she said.

LaRue finished with eight points and two rebounds in only 13 minutes of play.