Swimmers shine at Invitational

The Virginia women's swimming and diving squad closed out the semester in style, winning the weekend's three-day Cavalier Invitational, held at the Aquatic and Fitness Center.

The No. 10 women remained unbeaten, bettering their record to 4-0, with a team score of 1,026 -- defeating runner-up Harvard by almost 200 points.

Meanwhile the Cavalier men suffered their second loss of the season. Coming into the weekend ranked eighth in the nation, the Cavs lost to No. 21 Harvard 1,015 to 1,168.

In individual action, Ed Moses and Cara Lane both found their way into the record books. Competing in the men's 200 breaststroke, Moses' final time of 1:55.91 set new ACC and school records. On the women's side, first-year Cara Lane broke the Conference and school records in the 1,650 freestyle, and also set a new pool record in the 200 butterfly.

Arizona ousts volleyball

The Virginia volleyball team's season came to a close Thursday, as Arizona bounced the Cavaliers from the NCAA Tournament in the first round with a three-game sweep.

After controlling much of the first two games, the Wildcats rallied from a 12-10 deficit in the third to wrap up the 15-8, 15-6, 15-12 triumph.

Raelene Elam led Arizona with a match-high 17 kills.

Deanna Zwarich led the way for Virginia with 14 kills. Setter Mary Frances Scott contributed 34 assists, and finished her career ranked 10th on the NCAA assists list with a final total of 6,044.

Garland, Cavs compete in Vegas

Steve Garland finished with a 5-1 record in the 125-pound class to lead the Virginia wrestling team in competition at the Cliff Kenan Las Vegas Collegiate Wrestling Invitational Friday and Saturday.

Garland advanced to the finals of the 125-pound division, before falling 6-3 to Minnesota's Leroy Vega.

David Santamaria, John Pozniak, Brian Muir and Ryan McGrath also posted solid showings, advancing past the first round of competition.

Jones left out of Heisman finals

Wisconsin running back Ron Dayne and four quarterbacks were named finalists for the Heisman Trophy Monday, leaving Virginia tailback Thomas Jones out of the picture.

Georgia Tech's Joe Hamilton, Purdue's Drew Brees, Chad Pennington of Marshall and Virginia Tech freshman Michael Vick rounded out the list.

Preseason favorite Peter Warrick also was left off the short list of finalists, and probably lost his shot at the Heisman following his arrest for consipiracy theft at a department store.

The five finalists will travel to the Downtown Athletic Club in New York for the presentation of the Heisman Saturday.

Carolina claims another crown

The North Carolina women's soccer dynasty continued this weekend, as the Tar Heels won their 15th NCAA title in 18 years with a 2-0 victory over Notre Dame Sunday.

With the win, the Heels finished the year with an 18-game winning streak, and improved their all-time record in the NCAA Tournament to 61-3.

Meredith Florance and Beth Shepard both scored for Carolina.

Solomon, Wilkins take weekly honors

After averaging 32 points per game in Clemson's two contests last week, Tiger guard Will Solomon earned the ACC Men's Basketball Player of the Week award.

Solomon started the week by lighting up Penn State for 37 in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. He finished the week with 27 points against Charleston Southern, and shot a career-best six-for-10 from three-point land.

Meanwhile N.C. State's Damien Wilkins took the Rookie of the Week accolades. Wilkins, the son of the NBA's Gerald Wilkins, had a team-high 13 rebounds against Purdue in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge, in addition to eight points, three assists and three blocks.

Later in the week against Providence, he recorded the first double-double of his collegiate career, with 14 points and 10 boards.