Darden hosts annual event

Last Friday evening, the 12th annual Darden Marketing Club Brand Challenge, sponsored by Proctor & Gamble and General Mills, was held at Sponsor's Hall at the Darden School.

First-year club members set up booths for blind taste tests and those who attended tasted everything from different brands of barbeque pork and sports nutritional bars to cookies, beer and pretzels.

The event "gets people excited about marketing," said Jessica Drolet, second-year Darden student and Brand Challenge Coordinator. Each year, the event draws an average of about 400 people.

"I'm really glad that people other than Darden students attend. I estimate 80 percent of the people have a connection to Darden, but some 20 percent don't," first-year Darden student Joaquin Gutierrez said.

To obtain the products, Darden students wrote letters to companies, asking them to donate products for blind taste tests. The calls help Darden students to make contacts with companies, Drolet said.

"It's good PR for Darden since some companies we call for products don't regularly recruit here," said Karen Kalsi, Marketing Club vice president of special events.

"We are responsible for choosing brands, making the surveys and setting up our booths. It's good experience with product/brand management," Patrice Hayden, an MBA/JD joint-degree student at Darden and the Law School.

After compiling survey results, students send the data back to the companies.

The survey results tell the company "why people would pick a certain brand and gives the company free market research," Drolet said.

Some of the products showcased at the Brand Challenge demonstrated sustainable brands, or brands which are manufactured in a way that is more environmentally friendly than conventional means.

Stoney Fields, a yogurt brand available for sampling, is one such sustainable brand. Stoney Fields invests in machinery that uses less waste and does not use horomones in their cows, first-year Darden student Paul Coviello said.

"These companies keep in mind that the environment is important when making their product," said Jeff Levinson, Darden student and member of Students for Responsible Business. "There are lots of exciting brands out there doing this. By bringing them in, we allow people to see what other companies are doing, and just let the products speak for themselves."

Other environmentally-friendly products at the event included Newman's Own pretzels, soap and paper towels.

The Sports Utility Vehicle challenge, held before the Brand Challenge, allowed participants to test-drive the Ford Electric Ranger 2000 EV along with other fuel-efficient SUVs. Ford donated these vehicles for the day.

Erin McCoy, president of the Darden Marketing Club and second-year Darden student, said the Club offers three main benefits for students.

"It helps students, especially first years, with their careers" by offering mock interviews, panels about internships and resume assistance, McCoy said.

"Secondly, it helps with academics by offering help during exams and dinners with faculty," she said.

The third benefit was demonstrated Friday night with one of the club's social events.

"These events bring all of Darden together," McCoy said.