Architecture faces office space crunch

The School of Architecture is stepping up its efforts to build more office space for faculty members after receiving warning citations from the National Architectural Accrediting Board and the Landscape Architectural Accrediting Board.

The citations carry the threat of a possible loss of accreditation if more space is not constructed.

The Architecture School is under a five-year accreditation term and is evaluated at the end of each term.

According to Architecture School Dean Karen Van Lengen, the school was cited twice in the last 10 years - at the end of each evaluation period - for insufficient space.

University Architect Samuel "Pete" Anderson said a "feasibility study" was completed last month to examine the possibilities for construction.

At that time, officials began laying out the plans for a new building that would include about 25 offices.

But the Architecture School cannot begin more concrete plans until it attains the necessary funding from private donations.

Anderson said he does not expect construction to begin for at least another three or four years.

According to Anderson, dealing with the space issue, although important, is not an emergency situation.

"By no means would I say they have to [add office space] or they'll lose their accreditation," NAAB Executive Director Elliott Pavlos said. "No student needs to be worried that the degree they earn will not be worth something."

But he said if a school faces a long-standing problem and does not make any effort to rectify it, the NAAB may take action.

The term of accreditation first would be shortened to three years, forcing the school to undergo more frequent evaluations. If the school still does not take steps to alleviate the problem, the term would be shortened to two years.

But Pavlos added that he does not think the Architecture School will face these penalties.

Van Lengen said the school must be "vigilant about [the citation] and move forward."

She said the Architecture School is the top-rated graduate school at the University and the citation has "no reflection on the nature of the school."