Casteen plans new women's council

University President John T. Casteen III announced yesterday the creation of a Women's Leadership Council to assist in developing a more equitable gender climate at the University.

The 1999 Task Force on the Status of Women, which has studied gender issues since last January, recommended the Council's formation to Casteen.

The Task Force found that the University's faculty and leadership do not reflect diversity as well as the student body does.

"I truly sense what it means to have a glass ceiling," said Farzaneh Milani, Task Force member and associate professor of women's studies. "We've come a long way, but still it seems at U.Va. we almost have a culture of segregation when it comes to leadership."

Casteen said the Council will assist in encouraging women to take on leadership roles.

"Consultation and monitoring, which are the Council's chief duties, are essential to success," he said.

Related Links
  • Task Force's Report on Gender Equity
  •  

The Council will consult and directly advise Casteen on ways to improve gender equity.

Casteen will select faculty, staff, students and University graduates for the Council this spring.

Meanwhile, Task Force members will serve as an interim Council until Casteen makes official appointments.

Task Force members said they hope the Council will affect positive change in the University's gender climate.

"I hope this will not be yet another committee to reinvent the wheel," said David T. Gies, Task Force member and Faculty Senate chairman. "I hope this will be an action council, not just a report council."

The Task Force's proposal for the Council is included in its "Report on Gender Equity at the University of Virginia," which Casteen released yesterday.