Cavs aim to end two-game skid

After dropping its last two games, the Virginia men's basketball team faces a crucial contest tonight in Atlanta against Georgia Tech.

Tonight's 7:30 p.m. game, the last in a grueling four-game road trip for the Cavaliers (15-7, 5-4 ACC), could serve as a revival of the aggressive style and winning ways evident in the first half of the ACC season. On the other hand, a loss in Atlanta, coming on the heels of defeats last week at No. 23 Maryland and No. 3 Duke, would drop Virginia to .500 in the Conference.

Georgia Tech presents a lesser challenge than last week's games against the Terrapins and Blue Devils. The struggling Yellow Jackets (10-11, 2-6) sit eighth in the ACC, with the same number of wins as cellar-dwelling Clemson. Both of Tech's Conference victories this year have come in Atlanta, however. p>

• Georgia Tech men's basketball
  •  

The relatively small Cavaliers must focus on out-muscling Tech's big men: senior power forward Jason Collier and 6-foot-11 center Alvin Jones. Collier leads the ACC with 9.9 rebounds-per-game and Jones' 8.2 rpg ranks fifth. Rebounding has been a particular problem for the Cavs this year. They rank last in the Conference with only 32.5 rpg and 6-foot-7 power forward Travis Watson is their biggest player.

Even more difficult for the shorter Cavaliers may be guarding Georgia Tech's twin towers on defense. Jones is no slouch, with a scoring average of 10.8 points-per-game, and Collier presents a unique problem for the Virginia defense. At seven feet and 260 pounds, he can score effectively inside. But at times he is more dangerous from the outside, hitting three-pointers at a 37 percent clip.

Virginia Coach Pete Gillen is fully cognizant of his team's lack of size. In order to match up better with the size of the Jackets, Gillen said he might have to play two big men inside. A lineup with two true post players would be a new look for a Cavalier team used to starting 6-foot-6 second year Chris Williams starting at power forward.

Although the Yellow Jackets have struggled this season, Gillen knows his team cannot take this game for granted, especially in Atlanta.

"Georgia Tech is very talented," Gillen said. "Every game is a battle for us."

This game in particular will be critical, with the Cavs hoping to avoid their first three-game losing streak of the year.

Virginia will rely on third-year point guard Donald Hand to lead the offense as he did in the Cavaliers' 83-65 victory against Georgia Tech Jan. 8. Hand scored 27 points in that game, a total he matched in Saturday's 106-86 loss at Duke. Hand leads the team in scoring with 18.3 points-per-game through nine ACC games and is the team's emotional leader.

"What Virginia has accomplished, Hand has taken them to that level," Georgia Tech Coach Bobby Cremins said.

"He's a fighter, a great competitor." Gillen said of Hand. "He's very explosive; he's got the courage of a bullfighter. I love his heart and courage."

Gillen knows the Cavs will need that heart and courage to get back on their feet and keep their sights set on the postseason.

"This is a giant game, one of the biggest games this year," Gillen said.