Equestrian club team trots to success

The University is known for many things, but who'd have guessed that horseback riding was one of them? Since 1976, the Virginia Riding Team has given students the opportunity to cultivate their riding skills. In fact, the team has won more individual and team titles than any other sport at the University.

"We compete in intercollegiate horse show competitions throughout Virginia and the country," said Sierra Cook, fourth-year College student and Virginia Riding Team Vice President.

Cook joined the team during her third year and has been riding horses since she was 13. Cook said the skill levels of team members vary, ranging from novice to advanced.

"Beginners compete in the walk-trot courses, while the more experienced riders are able to do jumps," Cook said.

• Everything you want to know about equestrian sports
  •  

The University's club team practices at Barracks Stables, on Barracks Road. Barracks Stables is home to all University show horses, and each team member takes at least two lessons there every week.

"We encourage our members to take the equestrian class through the P.E. Department," Cook said.

While rewarding, the class doesn't come cheap. Each class member pays an $800-fee per semester, which includes the cost of weekly lessons, food for the horses and team expenses. Most of the team's funding comes from student members, Student Appropriation Funds and the Alumni Association.

The equestrian classes are open to everyone, but students must pay $45 per semester to join the riding team before enrolling. Cook said more students have shown interest in the class over the past couple of years. But since there are only 30 or so spaces available, students must undergo a screening test in which they briefly ride a horse to determine their skill level. After the screening, students are picked according to the team's needs. The team then enters riders in one of five competition levels based on the riders' abilities.

"The beginning levels are walk/trot and walk/trot/canter," said Jenny Old, second-year College student and Virginia Riding Team President. "The highest level is the open in which riders jump over fences and ride the flat. We can get more points if riders are entered in each level," Old said.

Second-year College student Allison McGrath took the equestrian class last year. She decided to take the one-credit course because she grew up riding horses and missed it. And she wasn't disappointed with what the University's class provided.

"The trainers are good, and the horses are nice. I got to ride a different one every time," McGrath said.

Claiborne Bishop is a class instructor and coach of the Virginia Riding Team. She and her husband started the intercollegiate program about 26 years ago.

"We've trained numerous state champions in the Hunters' Ring," Bishop said.

Some of her students have competed in amateur competitions after graduation.

The University competes against Virginia Tech, JMU and Randolph-Macon College and other colleges.

"At the end of April [and in] early May, we start competing in regional and national horse shows," Old said.

Over the past few years, horseback riding has been gaining popularity at the University. Recently, there's even been talk of making equestrian a varsity sport.

"The push is to fulfill Title IX," Bishop said.

Title IX is a section of the 1972 federal education legislation, which ensures that women's sports receive funding near the level of men's sports. Last August, the NCAA recognized equestrian as an "emerging sport." The drawback to this push, according to Bishop, is that it would be declared a women's sport, and men on the team would not be able to compete. Traditionally, men and women have competed against each other.

"Even in the Olympics, men and women compete together. That's the history of how it is," Bishop said.

Regardless of history, horseback riding offers an alternative to typical student sports.

Horseback riding is "fun and a good way to unwind," McGrath said. At the very least, "it's a break from studying."