Layin' the smack down

Every good beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

Now that the bell has tolled on my collegiate journalism career, I stand out of breath, but wiser, knowing that when 160 people come together and try their best, great things can and will happen, even when no money changes hands.

As such, it has been my great privilege and honor to serve as the 110th Editor-in-Chief of The Cavalier Daily. And as it turns out, Puff Daddy was wrong. Everything isn't always all about the benjamins, baby.

To be perfectly honest, there were days when it didn't seem like much of a privilege or an honor to be EIC. It certainly was no fun dealing with irate "adults" who were upset because their free newspaper arrived 20 minutes late or "adults" who were so irked that they vowed never to be quoted by us again.

But, I'm proud to say, it typically isn't a good idea to pick fights with people who buy ink by the barrel and newsprint by the rain forest.

Even in those less-than-tranquil times, though, I always knew that I wasn't in this alone. My job was made so much easier by the hardest working staff on Grounds, either student or otherwise. And through all the ups and downs, zigs and zags, curveballs and sliders, I wouldn't trade the experience of the past tumultuous 12 months for anything - well, maybe for a new Mercedes Benz 600SL convertible, but only if it came James Bond commando style.

When the turn of the millennium occurred over a month ago, and people were partying like it was, well, 1999, I saved the best two bottles of champagne $7 can buy for this special occasion.

Truth be told, I was in no mood to drink the bubbly on the night before Armageddon because, only a few days earlier, all was not well in Hooville. The proverbial Mighty Casey did more than just strike out that fateful evening. He was steamrolled by the Fighting Illini.

Unfortunately, I personally witnessed Illinois slap around our Cav football team like we were a bunch of roody-poo jabronis. Indeed, Miami's Pro Player Stadium was an inappropriate place for such an awful beat down. Ruffner Footbridge would have been far better suited for such an onslaught.

Of course that was way back in the '90s, a time when decaf mocha latte was trendy, Neil Diamond was bush league and Big White Tent graced our Grounds. But now it's 2000, and boy have times changed.

Now to uncork the Andre:

Disclaimer 1: Most such lists contain apologies to those who were left out. The Rock says get over it.

Disclaimer 2: For those who do not enjoy champagne: Sparkling cider, tequila slammers, Natty Light and brass monkeys also are available.

To my parents, Rick and Shelley (known to me by their real names, Mom and Dad). I thank you for your assistance, unwavering support and sound advice. But mostly for buying me a Beamer.

My father told me over the summer that all I could do was make the best lemonade out of the lemons I got. That piece of advice has guided me throughout the year. You may think I'm not paying attention or that I view what you say as unwanted and unsolicited advice. While it may be unsolicited, I always (usually) take what you say to heart and I thank you for being there. Cheers.

My mother always has wanted the best for her little boy. She would read The Cavalier Daily online every day, I'm convinced, as an excuse to call me up to briefly discuss a news story and then get into whether I've been eating well and remembering to sleep every once in a while. Nobody ever cares about you as much as your mother does, and mine is no exception. Thank you and I love you. Cheers.

To my brother Brian. In my eyes, accomplishments are twice as meaningful when significant roadblocks stand in the way. My brother started life by being dealt an uneven hand, though he doesn't see it that way. People often have asked me what it's like to have a brother who is Deaf. That question is impossible for me to answer because I don't know what it's like to have a brother who can hear. But I do know that Brian, who now is on his way to a Ph.D. in history at George Washington University, has broadened my horizons immeasurably, has shown me the importance of family and has been my role model. Thank you buddy. Cheers.

To Mr. Sabato. Well, it certainly has been quite a ride, hasn't it? Thank you for coming through for me when I needed it most. I speak for many, many students, not just the three musketeers, when I thank you for your incredible dedication and commitment to the University. You have my undying respect and loyalty. Cheers.

To Alex, Melissa and everyone at the Center for Governmental Studies. I can't wait to be a part of the team. Cheers.

To Aaron Laushway. Thank you for your unparalleled support of both this newspaper and me. If administrators were paid based on how much they care and how much they mean to students, you certainly would be raking in millions. Cheers.

To Pat Lampkin, Carol Wood, Bill Fishback, Sam Miller, Bill Hancher, Leonard Sandridge, David T. Gies, Dean Canevari, Pat Payne and Wayne Cozart. Thank you for your support, encouragement and efforts to help The Cavalier Daily. Most do not go out of their way to be so helpful and supportive. Cheers.

To Rachel Most and Stephen Plog. Thank you for teaching me the importance of being understanding and giving people a second chance.

To the crew/magnificent seven. You guys get double drinks (minus a little for our dead homeys, of course) because I know you can get your respective drinks on steady. Thank you for the road trips, the mini-golf, for visiting me in my underground lair and for telling the Self-Righteous Void to know their role and shut their mouth. Hudak (-1), Finlo (+1), Brooklyn (+7), Thompson (+8), Carr (+21) and Dowell (+25) - Finally, The Rock has come back to ... Planet Fun. Cheers.

To my roommates Tee, Travis and Catron. Thank you putting up with my schedule. Oh and Tee, now that I won't be coming home at 3 a.m. every night, I guess I won't be "forced" to wake up the People's Caddie. But even though I'll be home more, I still don't promise to do the dishes. I do, however, promise to chill on the couch and watch Skinemax like it's my job. Cheers.

To Drew-ha, Mase and Coops, my best friends since the days when the Iceman cometh, jams were in style and George Wendt was Norm Peterson. Even though you guys are keeping it real down in SoFla and we don't see each other as much, thank you for being the best friends Brando ever could have hoped for. We're like the nWo - for life. Don't forget to let me know when the next slapnuts convention is, and I'll be on the next flight to Miami to hunt poontang with you big, bad booty daddies. Cuz that's what Brian Boitano would do. Cheers.

To Meg Scheu. As trite as it sounds, thank you for everything - from being constantly reassuring to always giving me a pick-me-up when I most needed it. Cheers.

To all of my other friends. Special thanks to Waxman, Yarnell, Carrie, Amy and Lauren. Thank you for helping me keep my sanity and letting me know that, at times, I'm pretty fly for a white guy. It's time to fire up the Foreman and watch some "Monday Night Raw is Greenwald." Now that I have all this free time, I promise to break you all off a well-deserved little something-something real proper-like. Cheers.

To the readers of this newspaper. Whether you read every word of every article or just do the crossword puzzle from time to time, thank you for allowing The CD into your life. As your paragon of virtue, it's been real. I hope you recognize the mad skills of this staff. Cheers.

To the staff of this newspaper, whose undying loyalty and pride in their work should be an inspiration to us all. I couldn't be more proud of what you have accomplished this year. Working ridiculously long hours for no pay and little thanks or appreciation, you quietly and consistently have churned out one of the best collegiate dailies in the nation, and undoubtedly the best newspaper in C-ville. And if you don't believe me, just ask the Associated Collegiate Press or the Virginia Press Association. It's easy to be EIC when we're No. 1.

You have pride, grit and determination, that come with the thunder or don't come at all, second place is first loser, don't sing it, bring it attitude. That always will be my favorite part of The CD. Thank you for always bringing your A game to the basement and remembering that it ain't your pencil, it's how you write your name. Cheers.

To Tom Bednar. I have supreme confidence in you and I know this newspaper will prosper under your watch. Cheers.

To Lindsay Wise, Brian Haluska, John Clark and Michael Gillespie. You complete the Fab Five. I have nothing but respect and admiration for you and the utmost confidence in your abilities. Keep layin' the smack down. Cheers.

To Sharon Bradley. Thank you for being the lifejacket that keeps this newspaper afloat. Cheers.

To Sonia Karim. Thank you for bringing fashion/design sense to the basement. Your work single-handedly has made the paper look better. Plus, you throw a raging kegger like no other. And if a job in design doesn't pan out, I hear the local fish store is looking for people to cultivate starfish. Cheers.

To Dan Cooper. As the male and Jewish faction of the Managing Board, we had to stick together. While our stripper idea for final roll didn't pan out, everything else you undertook did. I guess that's why you are The Man. Don't forget that I (not Emily) saved your life when you caught on fire. Cheers.

To Masha Herbst. Thank you for humoring me and letting me do an occasional "By the numbers." But more importantly, thank you for bringing humor and your smile to the basement and for always supporting and believing in me. Just do me a favor and be careful in the next few years when you are an AP correspondent in Yemen or Botswana or wherever. Cheers.

To Emily Kane. Under your direction, we sure did take home a lot of awards - 11 VPAs and one Pacemaker. Thank you for making my job so much easier and for supporting me unconditionally. It is in times of need that one discovers who their friends really are. Thank you for being my friend. Cheers.

Well, folks, it's closing time, one last call for alcohol, so drink up your whiskey or beer. And while you don't have to go home, you can't stay here. Besides, I'm all out of champagne.