Internet gains value as important

The Internet's political prowess is being tested this week during the Super Tuesday presidential primaries.

This date marks one of the most important times in the primary season when vote-swinging states like New York and California enter the electoral ring.

This week's primaries predict more than just the presidential chances of the five hopefuls; they also help assess the Internet's potential to shape the political process.

This week will "tell the tale" and determine just how much impact the Internet will have at the voting booth, Politics Online site editor Tom Kennedy said.

Related Links
  • href="http://www.cavalierdaily.com/reference_pages/Elections2000/main.asp">Cavalier Daily Election 2000 Coverage

• Already, Arizona Senator John McCain (R) has used the medium to his advantage, racking up donations and enlisting campaign volunteers online.

For most of the cadidates, once the Web site is accessed a box pops up offering an easy way to donate money.

"The Internet provided rocket fuel for McCain after New Hampshire," said Michael Cornfield, spokesman for the Democracy Online project at George Washington University. "Over $4 million in donations were processed online in February."

Both McCain and former New Jersey Senator Bill Bradley (D) have used the Internet successfully to challenge their party nomination rivals, Texas Gov. George W. Bush (R) and Vice President Al Gore (D), who are better funded and who have more backing from their political parties.

"If [McCain] continues to succeed ... it will be the Internet that did it," said Charlotte Neal, co-chairwoman for McCain's Virginia campaign office. Neal said McCain has raised over $7 million to date on the Internet alone.

McCain also has gathered about 135,000 e-mail addresses of supporters, allowing him to keep in contact with potential contributors.

In addition to raising funds for the presidential campaigns, the Internet allows voters to "capture the flavor of the campaign," Bill Bradley campaign spokesman Josh Galper said.

For example, at the Bradley Web site potential voters can get information about Bradley's views on issues such as health care and gun control. They also can download clips from his speeches, read the most recent news articles about his campaign and shop online for bumper stickers and T-shirts at the Bradley 2000 Store.

Web sites are updated constantly, allowing campaign officials to stay in close contact with grassroots organizations, Neal said.

Galper said the Bradley campaign has registered over 100,000 volunteers over the Internet, enhancing traditional recruitment techniques while saving money and manpower in the process.

Although some are concerned that those without Internet access will become removed further from the political process, campaign workers remain optimistic.

"There's still access," Neal said, referring to traditional means of communication such as flyers and local activist organizations. And, she added, "Nothing beats seeing [McCain] one-on-one with all his charisma."

Cornfield said he also thinks the Internet may help make for smarter voting because voters will have more access to the candidate stances on important issues.

It will "spread around what is important in political life," Galper said. And "we will see more participation in democracy."

The Internet "opens up an avenue for more and more people," Neal said. "There are no limits as to what we can do."

Kennedy said the one limit of online politics is that not everyone has access to all the available information.

"There are several gradations of division in 'Net accessibility and ease of use," Cornfield said the "digital divide" that has filled many politicians' rhetoric this year. "For example, connecting through a telephone modem is not as convenient as through a broadband pipe."

The Bradley campaign thinks the "digital divide" only will be bridged by "putting money back in the pockets" of the underprivileged, Galper said.

Before worrying about Internet access, a Bradley administration first would work on eliminating more pressing social problems such as child poverty.

"Bringing people together across the 'civic divide' requires political action in all media, not just technological empowerment," Cornfield said.

In the future, political campaigning may rely more and more on the Internet, but online voting may not be on the agenda immediately.

But as political campaigning becomes more reliant on the Internet, some officials said online voting may become as common as going to the local polls.

Arizona Democrats are holding the first legally binding online primary this week. From March 7 through 10.

If security problems arise, "that will set us back a couple of months, maybe a couple of years," Kennedy said. "We have the technology right now," but many are concerned about potential problems.

Right now, Cornfield said experts are concerned about "security against viruses, protection of personal privacy for those who vote at work, authentication of voting - a spouse can learn your password and use your computer - the equity question ... and the reinforcement of social isolation."

Other officials said they had similar concerns about online voting.

"We're a long way from that," Neal said. "It will be interesting to see what happens."