Students elect new UJC, Honor reps

College students elected three new representatives to both the Honor and Judiciary Committees during this week's elections.

Third-year College student Forrest Jones was the top vote-getter in the honor race. He received 1,716 votes. Third-year student Ginny Rothschild received 1,677 votes and second-year student Thomas Hall captured the third spot with 1,464 votes.

Jones said he is extremely pleased with his election and looks forward to a year of working with the Committee to enact change in the system.

He said his first priority will be to assure that honor cases are moving through the system efficiently and effectively.

He added that he looks forward to working with the newly-formed Honor System Review Commission, and said one of the major goals of the new Committee will be examining the Honor Committee constitution and determining if sections need to be rewritten.

Hall expressed similar goals for his term.

He said the first major issue he would like to work on is to assure cases "don't just sit in the system" while waiting to go to trial.

He added that he also is looking forward to working closely with the Commission in attempts to make any necessary reforms to the system.

Hall said he is very impressed with the qualifications of the other new representatives and looks forward to working with them throughout the year.

In the eight-candidate Judiciary Committee race, third-year student Lissa Percopo received 1,153 votes. Third-year student Paul Gigante received 1,130 votes and third-year student Max Wiegard finished third with 933 votes.

Percopo, who served on this year's Judiciary Committee Executive Committee as Senior Educator, said she is looking forward to pursuing several goals during her term.

She said her experience working with the education process and as a member of the Constitution and Bylaws Subcommittee has prepared her well for her new role as a Committee judge, although she never has served as a voting member of the Committee.

She added that she is "looking forward to a new perspective" and is pleased to work with Wiegard and Gigante.

Wiegard said he also was thrilled about his victory.

"My first order of business will be to get oriented" and accustomed to the duties of a committee judge, he said.

Wiegard said he also would like to examine the Committee bylaws and make any necessary changes. He said that the members of the new Executive Committee will play a major role in determining policy.