University will offer dual degree program

Students from the University of Virginia's College at Wise now have the opportunity to spend their fourth year in a dual degree program taking classes at the University's Engineering School.

The College at Wise is a University branch located in southwest Virginia.

Through the program, selected students would study math and science at the College at Wise for three years, and then spend their fourth year in the Engineering School. Program participants still would graduate with a College at Wise degree.

The program is aimed to prepare these students to earn a master's degree in engineering.

"It gives them the opportunity to get an engineering background and eventually even an engineering degree," said Paxton Marshall, Engineering School assistant dean for undergraduate programs.

Marshall added that if a student performs well enough in the program, he or she often gains admission to the University's master's in engineering program.

George Culbertson, provost and senior vice chancellor at Wise, said students have shown a great deal of interest in the new program.

The College at Wise joins five other Virginia schools now participating in the dual degree program.

Sweet Briar College, Hampden-Sydney University, James Madison University, Longwood College and Randolph-Macon Women's College all offer the program.

J. Milton Adams, associate dean for undergraduate programs at the University, said the program has been successful with previously participating schools, and the University is pleased that College at Wise officials agreed to take part in it.

Culbertson said it probably will be a few years before College at Wise students begin to apply for the program because of the prerequisite courses it demands.