TV monitor: Final Grades for the 1999-2000 TV Season

Top of the Class

"The Sopranos" Much as I'd love to dispute the critics who unanimously labeled the show this year's best, I just can't. "The Sopranos" created its own genre, the mini-serial, with interesting, well-defined, and most importantly, fully human characters. However, it's easy to do that with a huge budget, and lack of censors and commercial breaks. The four other shows listed here find creative ways to get around such restraints

"Friends" The zanier that television's most popular sitcom gets, the fresher it gets as well. This season deepened the relationship between Chandler and Monica, restored Ross to his original goofy glory and made Joey and Phoebe more lovable than ever. Just cut down on the number of guest stars and tell Jennifer Aniston to get a haircut.

"Everybody Loves Raymond" This show, the best thing CBS has going for itself, is the ultimate family sitcom, with a tongue as sharp as its sentiments are sweet. It's the only show to balance stories about the children and their parents' sex life (not to mention that of grandparents Peter Boyle and Doris Roberts), and to find the riot in all three generations.

"The West Wing" In putting together this clever cross-section of the White House, creator Aaron Sorkin gave brilliant supporting actors Allison Janney and John Spencer their breakout roles and cast Rob Lowe and Martin Sheen in the performances of their career, but more importantly, he taught a cynical nation a thing or two about patriotism in an election year.

"Once and Again" What happens when medical emergencies, alien invasions and televised nudity no longer draw in big numbers? Creators Marshall Herskovitz and Winnie Holzman knew the secret, and they divulged it with this year's most poetic show, a celebration of love, family and the other ordinary miracles we take for granted.

Honor Roll

"Felicity" The best teen show on the air, this WB soap underwent more changes than just underrated star Keri Russell's new 'do as the characters realistically dealt with keeping the relationships they made during their freshman year. Not to worry, though, there's still plenty -- affairs with married women, unplanned pregnancies -- to whet our appetites.

"Frasier" The consistently clever sitcom got back on track this season, and it seems everyone aboard realized that it was time for the Niles-Daphne flirtation to come to a head. Next season, spread the wealth around and give Roz a man to get serious about.

"Inside the Actors Studio" Still the most fascinating interview session after six years, there's virtually no other place to hear actors give away tricks of the trade -- or to learn their favorite swear word.

"Judging Amy" It took Amy Brenneman five years after leaving "NYPD Blue" to find a role worthy of her, but it's a beauty, and viewers are all the better for watching this career woman balance work and family. What do you get when you add TV diva Tyne Daly as Amy's mother? A healthy dose of Girl Power.

"Law and Order" Jesse L. Martin escaped from "Ally McBeal" in the nick of time and seamlessly merged into the show's ensemble as it ended its first decade on the air. With the exception of supporting actress Angie Harmon, this show's as good as ever, making it the "Shawshank" of the small screen.

"Now and Again" After "Moonlighting," Glenn Gordon Caron sure took a long break from television, but it was worth it. This blend of humor, sci-fi, romance and mystery is the best reason to stay home on Friday nights, and stars Eric Close and Margaret Colin share a chemistry Anderson and Duchovny only dream of eclipsing.

"The Practice" David E. Kelley couldn't top last year's riveting, brilliantly-laced season, but he did find a way to incorporate Marla Sokoloff into the ensemble; too bad he ended up neglecting Lisa Gay Hamilton and Kelli Williams in the process.

"Seventh Heaven" The rare show, a positive affirmation of family and faith. Anyone who claims there's nothing suitable for children and parents to watch together obviously hasn't seen the WB.

"Sports Night" Sorkin's second mention on this list proves him television's most sardonic wit. Now if he can find a way for Dana and Casey to get together, he might get another miracle: ABC to commit to a full season.

"Will and Grace" If "Ellen" laid the groundwork, then this show took gay humor to new heights, and continues to successfully toe the line of sexual innuendo.

Academic Probation

"Chicago Hope" and "ER" Too many cast departures, repetitive storylines and unbelievable couplings make both of these shows in need of resuscitation, and STAT.

"Party of Five" FOX ended the run a year prematurely; apparently, their characters were all cried out.

"Providence" Girl Power at its worst, a show that's sanctimonious, sappy, and ultimately downright silly.

"Total Request Live" Remember when MTV used to play videos in their entirety?

Farewell Graduates

"Beverly Hills, 90210" One of the most important pop cultural contributions of the decade. Does anyone not know the significance of "Brenda and Dylan" or "Donna Martin Graduates"?

"Boy Meets World" When TGIF said goodbye to its heaviest anchor, fans felt as though graduation had come a month too early.

"Cosby" After a four-year run, Bill Cosby and Phylicia Rashad walked into the sunset together again. Have no fear -- they'll be back again.

"Spin City" Sure, the show's coming back, but with Michael J. Fox leaving, television loses one of its all-time brightest lights. Thanks for the laughs, Mr. Fox, and our prayers are with you.