Plan aims to send more students overseas

As the 21st century takes flight with a global, interconnected world, the University hopes to increase participation in its study abroad program over the next 20 years to meet the changing atmosphere of our society.

Currently less than 20 percent of University students study abroad as compared to 40-60 percent of students at peer institutions, said William Quandt, vice provost for international affairs.

"We want students to get outside of their familiar environment and see the world through a different lens," Quandt said.

The study-abroad initiative is part of the Virginia 2020 program, launched in March 1998. The program is intended to improve the University's programs in public service, technology, fine and performing arts and international activities.

The 2020 program strives to have 80 percent of the student body study abroad during their tenure at the University, create a fifth-year abroad program to appease those who do not wish to break the four-year experience and increase the number of University-sponsored programs abroad.

"There is no reason why we can't move in that direction, but with good quality control," Quandt said.

The International Studies Office solicited information to first-year students upon their arrival at the University and President John T. Casteen III mentioned the program during Convocation.

Common problems faced by many students when deciding whether or not to study abroad are the lack of time and the fear of losing credits.

"I would love to study abroad. It would be culturally and intellectually stimulating," said first-year Engineering student Laura Schrader. "I'd be worried, though, that since my curriculum is so demanding that I might not have time."

Schrader said she plans to study abroad during the summer to avoid scheduling conflicts with classes.

Third-year College student Margaret Brennan participated in a University-sponsored program at Yarmuk University in Irbid, Jordan, this summer.

"The program was great," Brennan said. "The faculty was amazing ... It made me realize how well the University prepared me" for Arabic studies.

The International Studies Office intends to strengthen its staff and resources in order to help the program to its feet and attract a greater number of University students.

With the general level of interest in study-abroad programs increasing, the office wishes to increase the variety of languages, cultures and politics offered, Quandt said.

The ultimate goal is to bring different cultural experiences to Grounds.

"It's really an important part of the University education. If our students are to be 'citizens of the world' they need to see it firsthand," Quandt said.