Police make arrest in Kegler's shooting

Albemarle County Police arrested 18-year-old Charlottesville resident Cabell Riff Clatterbaugh in the Sept. 30 shooting of a 16-year-old male outside Kegler's Bowling Alley, police said, located at 2000 Seminole Trail off Route 29.

Clatterbaugh was charged with malicious wounding, use of a firearm while in the commission of a felony and possession of a firearm after having been convicted of a felony. He was arrested Oct. 12.

Around 10:50 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 30, Albemarle County Police received a call reporting "disorder in the parking lot" of Kegler's.

When police arrived on the scene, the victim was lying in front of the bowling alley's entrance.

The victim was shot in the upper leg with a small handgun, according to the police report. The victim's name could not be released because of his age.

At the time of the incident, police believed it was a carryover from a Friday night dispute between the victim and the alleged shooter on Longwood Drive, near Route 64.

There were two suspects following the incident, but police have made only one arrest.

"Some people called in with the information that led to the arrest," Albemarle Police Sgt. Shawn Schwertfeger said.

Clatterbaugh now is being held at the Charlottesville-Albemarle Regional Jail.

Employees at Kegler's declined to comment.

Charlottesville Police Sgt. Don Campbell said there has been an increase in the number of juveniles committing crimes in Charlottesville.

"We are seeing cases of more and more juveniles involved in crimes in which guns are being used," Campbell said.

But he said the city is no different from any other city. Crime "can happen anywhere, any time," he added. "You just have to be careful."

Campbell said the city police began a community policing unit on Oct. 1, which will crack down on street crimes, including those involving juveniles.