UJC restarts program to post students' bail

After nearly 15 years of dormancy, the University's Student Legal Defense Fund is back in operation.

The fund was brought back in December because of a recent rise in minor legal offenses.

The Fund originated in the 1960s as a bail bondsman service for student war protestors. Demand for its services gradually declined and the organization eventually shut down in the 1980s.

At a December meeting, the University Judiciary Committee agreed to restart the service as a subcommittee.

The Fund is an interest-free service designed for students who encounter minor legal difficulty, namely misdemeanors and non-violent felonies.

Trained bondsmen are available 24 hours a day for students arrested in Charlottesville and Albemarle County.

Bail is posted at no expense to the student or the University, pending the student's appearance in court.

"Lately we've had more incidents where students are arrested at football games for public drunkenness and disorderly conduct," said Isaac Gradman, Student Legal Defense Fund chairman. "Now it seems the service is in need again."

Original demand for the Student Legal Defense Fund was high, but as the Vietnam War ended and protests subsided, fewer students required aid from the Fund.

"The Fund fell by the wayside," UJC Chairwoman Lissa Percopo said. "It became less and less of a priority because it was used less often."

Although no students have requested assistance since the fund reopened last semester, Gradman said all eligible students deserve the right to post bond.

"A lot of times students need a second chance," Gradman said. "If a judge has said you can be released for a certain amount of money, every student deserves the right to be released no matter what their financial situation."

Max Wiegard, UJC vice chairman for first years, agrees that students should not be penalized too harshly for one-time mistakes.

"We want to protect our community and at the same time protect our students," Wiegard said. "We don't want our students to be hampered because of their mistakes."

Gradman said the new Student Legal Defense Fund has undergone several revisions from its earlier days, as a means of better meeting the needs of students.

"The bond limit has been raised from $500 to $1,000 dollars and we now use the technology of cell phones and beepers," he said.

Wiegard said he hopes University students as well as student-run organizations will become more aware of the service.

"We want to become a regular presence at University meetings and let organizations that are politically active know that we are here for them to use," Wiegard said.

He also said he hopes students will think twice about getting into situations that land them in jail, but that they will make use of the service if necessary.

Students may contact the Student Legal Defense Fund by calling 970-0151.