Council announces new center architect

At last night's meeting, the New Student Center Committee of Student Council announced the hiring of David Oakland as principal architect in charge of the new student center's initial drawings.

Oakland was hired "for feasibility study and conceptual drawings of the new student center," Committee Chairman Steven Reinemund said.

Oakland is from VMDO Architects, a Charlottesville-based firm.

Oakland's arrival does not make the center's construction plans final.

"The University is shelling out a substantial amount of money to have this person do these drawings," Reinemund said. "This is a huge sign that the faculty is acknowledging and endorsing the project."

"Our goals will be to try to help clarify what you want in this project," Oakland said.

Oakland will have many responsibilities as the principal architect including drawing the initial plans.

"David Oakland will look at options and obstacles that can possibly come about," fourth-year Architecture student Andy Burdick said.

He also will formulate conceptual ideas, analyze what can be done and brainstorm ideas, Burdick said.

Before construction can begin, the University must go through a state contract-bidding process and secure funding.

"The drawings will help facilitate fundraising in the near future," Reinemund said.

The groundbreaking goal for the project is spring 2003. But the project of renovating existing Newcomb Hall area buildings could start sooner.

"Through a series of phases we want to reinvigorate existing buildings in the Newcomb-bookstore area, which will culminate in the student center complex," Burdick said.

Phases one through three of the plan involve expansion rather than the creation of new buildings. Phase I will enlarge a portion of the bookstore into a coffee shop and Phase II will expand Pavilion XI.

"Newcomb is not meeting the student body needs," Burdick said.

The project started by a resolution passed by Council in April 1999 that called for an investigation into a new center. Since then the students have directed the project.

"I can't believe how far this has come in such a short time," Council President Joe Bilby said.

The Committee's ultimate goals are to create a center that brings the students together and deals with individual social needs.