Council seeks to end 'not gay' yell

Tailgates, bow ties and the Good Ol' Song are University traditions that characterize every football season.

But Student Council hopes to help eradicate one tradition from the University's oldest past time.

Council's ad hoc committee formed to address the "not gay" chant released a report this week outlining a strategy to stop the use of the phrase at football games. Its efforts, however, could come into conflict with student body perceptions over the feasibility of ending the chant.

To conduct the study, the committee contacted student and faculty organizations such as the Athletic Department, Inter-Fraternity Council and the Faculty Senate to compile a list of suggestions on how to strike the phrase from the traditional song.

The committee then tested suggestions on four focus groups consisting of 10 randomly selected students. A psychology graduate student mediated each group.

The study found that University students believe the "not gay" chant is a real problem.

But these same students said they feel University leadership is incapapable of eradicating the chant and fear that any attempt to stop the use of the chant would be an infringement on free speech.

"We are pleased to find that a majority of students find this is a problem," said Sara Jobe, ad hoc committee chairwoman.

But "we were surprised at the extent of anti-administration feelings found in the study,"Jobe said.

Many students said they did not feel groups at the University had the power to stop the use of the chant.

After compiling the results from the four focus groups, the committee formed a strategy, which will inform students around Grounds about the offensiveness of the chant.

According to the report, committee members will recruit friends to "talk up" the issue during the football season to create a "buzz around campus."

Also, the committee will recruit two or three students from the IFC, the Inter-Sorority Council and Contracted Independent Organizations around Grounds to attend a strategy session in August.

The students will then report to their respective groups next fall to educate the student body about the offensiveness of the chant.

"I am extremely happy with what we've done," Jobe said. "The plan we've come up with is one the whole student body can support."

While University students said they believe the chant is inappropriate, they are skeptical about the effectiveness of the proposed plan.

"It's a tradition people have done in the past and will keep on doing it," second-year College student Ulrick Casseus said.

The plan is "well intentioned, but I think its more about changing people's consciousness about their words and actions," fourth-year College student Kellen Harne said.