Quarterback dilemma continues

Nothing can divide a town, or University Grounds for that matter, more than a quarterback controversy - a dilemma Virginia faces entering the 2001 season.

Both red-shirt sophomores Bryson Spinner and Matt Schaub knew two years ago that this time would come as soon as the ink dried on their respective letters-of-intent. While each was a blue-chip player in high school, receiving All-American accolades, only one will be able to start behind center Aug. 25 when the Cavaliers travel to Wisconsin in their season opener.

Spinner and Schaub both had solid performances this spring, alternating days that they practiced with the first unit. However, Spinner posted better numbers in the spring game Saturday, going 11-of-18 for 125 yards and two touchdowns. Schaub finished 4-of-16 for 49 yards. Coach Al Groh was quick to point out that the job would not be determined on the basis of one practice; rather the decision will be based on a long-term evaluation process that will carry on throughout the summer.

"We are going to be competing the whole way through," Schaub said. "Even when the starter will be named, there will be competition because we both have to be ready to go at any moment."

When last year's starting quarterback Dan Ellis was shelved with a hamstring injury, it was Spinner who was called on more frequently. The Alexandria native appeared in six games last season, including three as the starter. Spinner was thrown into the fire, making his first start at Florida State, where he completed 9-of-21 for 130 yards and one interception in a 37-3 loss to the Seminoles.

• Cavalier Daily coverage of Virginia football

• At 6-foot-2, 225 pounds, Spinner is known as much for his running ability as he is for his strong arm. This was evident as he guided the Cavaliers to a pivotal 24-17 win over N.C. State on Nov. 18, rushing for 83 yards on 14 carries, including a 61-yard scamper which was the longest by a Cavalier quarterback since 1964.

Schaub towers at 6-foot-5, 222 pounds, and has a cannon for an arm. Originally from West Chester, Pa., he hopes to follow along the great history of successful signal callers who have hailed from the quarterback-rich state of Pennsylvania, including Joe Namath, Joe Montana and Dan Marino.

Although each player wants to be the next Cavalier quarterback, they realize their battle can't interfere with the team's goals.

"It's a competition," Spinner said. "We both want to play and get out there and perform. At the same time, though, we both want to help each other become better quarterbacks."

"It's just going to make everyone better," Schaub said. "Competition, fighting, scrapping back and forth will help everyone out."

Next season's schedule includes games against traditional powerhouses Wisconsin, Penn State and Virginia Tech, in addition to the tough ACC schedule. Groh believes a strong quarterback can take a six- or seven-win team and win eight or nine based his play. On the reverse side, a team projected for nine wins can win six or seven if that position is deficient.

"That position can magnify the overall performance of your team or it can minimize it," Groh said.

Groh used John Elway as an example of a player who took average teams to the Super Bowl in the late 1980s, on the basis of his presence alone.

"Everyone was saying that Elway can't win the big one," Groh said. "They had it all wrong. What he was doing was taking mediocre teams and carrying them to the Super Bowl. It was amazing they ever got there, but he was such a dynamic player that he could do that all himself."

Although neither Spinner nor Schaub is at the level of Elway at this point, they will learn from Bill Musgrave, who served as a backup to Elway from 1995-96. Musgrave, the Cavaliers' offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, is implementing a new offense to which the players are adapting. Both Spinner and Schaub have put in extra time learning the new playbook in preparation for the season.

"My number one priority is to learn the offense," Schaub said. "I tried to learn as much as I can, so for the summer there isn't much to learn. It's just to polish up, so I'm ready to go on Aug. 25."

Because the decision-making process is ongoing, Groh is keeping his poker face on and not giving any indications as to who holds the edge. In fact, a decision may not be resolved until the week before the Wisconsin game to keep the Badgers guessing.

"I think we'll know, but I don't think anyone else will know going into it," Spinner said.