University hires 47 nurses to alleviate shortage woes

In the midst of a nationwide nursing shortage, the University has been successful in attracting some new nurses.

This summer, 47 new nurses, 16 of which are University graduates, will begin work at University Hospital. All will be entering the workforce directly from nursing school.

Nursing School Dean Jeanette Lancaster credited a revamped graduate mentor program as crucial in the hiring of the nurses. Created three years ago, this 18-month program helps to ease the transition from graduate school to professional practice.

"The nursing leadership took a proactive approach [to this situation] and asked: What can we do to attract more nurses?" Lancaster said. "They listened to students, faculty, new graduates and managers and then modified the mentor program in a way that had greater appeal to nurses."

In addition to the mentors program, the University Health System added a slew of other incentives last October designed to attract nurses. Some of these include higher pay for nurses who work longer hours, cash bonuses for referring new nurses, and a sign-on bonus to nurses educated at the University.

"Times have changed in health care," Lancaster said. "We needed to make some changes in what we offered to attract employees."

Even after the graduate-school hires, there still will be almost 100 vacant positions. The University is still in the process of hiring new recruits.

"Recruiting for nurses is a two-stage process," Lucas said. "First, we look at graduate schools, but then we also look statewide and nationwide for other potential employees."

Lucas added that she is hopeful there will be more than the 47 graduate students working as nurses for the University in the fall.

"We're not ending with just the new graduate school hires," she said. "It doesn't stop there."

But as the nationwide nursing shortage continues, Lancaster noted the need for the University to consistently update its incentives to appeal to prospective employees.

The Nursing School and the Medical Center "are in constant communication to look at new ways to both make the learning environment better and to encourage nurses to come to the University and stay," she said.