Democratic governor to affect BOV composition

After eight years of Republican gubernatorial leadership in Virginia, Democratic Gov.-elect Mark R. Warner's reign could dramatically change the makeup of the University's governor-appointed Board of Visitors, officials speculate.

Although it is far too early to predict potential appointments, Larry J. Sabato, government and foreign affairs professor, said, "there will be major change" in the composition of the Board, because Warner may replace Republicans on the Board with Democrats.

Over the course of his term, Warner will have the opportunity to reappoint or replace each of the 16 Board members. All members serve four-year, staggered terms and are eligible for reappointment once.

Republican Gov. George Allen and James S. Gilmore III appointed all of the current members.

Three current Board members, Timothy B. Robertson, Benjamin P.A. Warthen and Joseph E. Wolfe, will be up for reappointment March 1, 2002.

Warner also will have to replace Charles M. Caravati Jr., who will be finishing his second term.

Warner has claimed that he does not want to make politics the primary concern in his appointments, advocating the creation of a committee to advise him on his selection of higher education officials statewide, former University Rector Joshua Darden said.

Although the committee has not yet been formed, "the objective would be to make the best possible selections, and to take the politics out of the appointments," Darden said.

The committee would receive recommendations from state universities and alumni associations, and then make appointment recommendations to Warner, he added.

Warner's appointments will be based on the interests of the institution and on those of the state as a whole, Board Secretary Alexander "Sandy" Gilliam said.

"If [Warner] appoints people interested in higher education, party affiliation will become a secondary issue," Gilliam said. "When people get on the Board, political agendas become secondary, and the good of the University becomes uppermost in people's minds."

Some officials, however, believe the appointments could have political undertones.

Warner most likely will not reappoint strong supporters of his Republican political opponents, Sabato said.

More women and African Americans may be appointed, and "the more active Republican members of the Board will not be re-appointed," he added.

All three members up for re-appointment are Republican supporters.

Wolfe contributed $3,000 to state Republican campaigns this year, Robertson contributed $15,000 to Republican Gubernatorial candidate Mark L. Earley's campaign, and Warthen also contributed $500 to Earley's campaign. Other Board members whose terms end in upcoming years, have given upwards of $100,000 to Republican gubernatorial candidates.

Warner may be willing to make an exception or two, Sabato said: "It's still unclear if he will choose Republicans who supported him or only Democrats."

Although political ideology may factor into Warner's decisions, the new Board will reflect "a general cross-section of Virginia," Warthen said.

The ideology of appointees certainly will affect policies endorsed by the new Board, he added.

With budget constraints and the current economic downturn, prioritization and "how to assign assets the state offers the University" will become a major political issue, he said.

Allocation problems with the University Medical Center and implementation of the 2020 Commission Reports also will become major topics, he added.

Several issues will complicate Warner's appointments next year.

Caravati currently is the only physician on the Board. Warner will have to consider the appointment of a new physician to take his place and help advise on Medical Center issues.

Also, Wolfe currently is rector of Appalachian Law School, where Warner is a board member, Warthen said.

With the abundance of issues surrounding next year's Board appointments, it will be impossible to predict how the new Board will affect specific policy issues until individuals actually are chosen March 1, Sabato said.