Mark Warner begins term as Va. governor

RICHMOND - An overflowing crowd came to the state capitol Saturday to see the first inauguration of a Democratic governor in more than eight years.

After swearing in Tim M. Kaine as lieutenant governor and Jerry W. Kilgore as attorney general, the crowd erupted in cheers as Mark R. Warner took his oath of office and became the commonwealth's 69th governor.

Warner followed the oath as Virginia's governor with his inaugural address, in which he set guidelines and goals for the next four years of his term.

He called for a long-term solution to the economic problems the state has faced.

"Virginia has a gigantic budget mess," said Larry J. Sabato, professor of government and foreign affairs. "It's gonna take a tremendous amount of work and luck" for Warner to fix Virginia's fiscal problems.

Warner also called for lowering the unemployment rate and relieving overcrowded schools.

"We can do better. We will do better," he said.

Some of Warner's other goals for his four years in office included promoting economic growth and honoring state employees.

As part of his inauguration speech, Warner also expressed thanks to outgoing Republican Gov. James S. Gilmore III and his wife, Roxane, for serving the commonwealth for the past four years.

Following his recognition of those who helped him become governor, he said "the hour had arrived" for Virginia to unite and renew its faith and purpose.

Education was an underlying theme throughout Warner's address.

Warner used himself as an example of the American Dream. "I stand before you today the product of a loving family, good public schools, student loans and an industry that did not exist 20 years ago," he said.

"I want the promise of [the American Dream] to burn brightly for all Virginians," Warner said.

In a move of bipartisanship and an effort to jumpstart his Democratic administration which faces a strong Republican General Assembly Warner turned to the Speaker of the House and the President Pro Temp of the Senate and extended "the hand of friendship and cooperation," shaking both men's hands.

Sabato said that while the gesture and speech were a positive start for Warner's administration, "the hard part comes after the speeches."

One onlooker, Jane Hazlehurst from Richmond, said Warner inspired her with his speech.

I feel "that some way, [Warner] is going to accomplish his goals," Hazlehurst said.