Honor society information vacuum

ABOUT 90 percent of my mail is junk, so I'm skeptical of anything I didn't solicit. But I open it. My friend, though, threw out an invitation to Phi Beta Kappa because she didn't know it's a prestigious honor society and thought it was one more group taking her money. I can't blame her, though, when there's little information out there. Student organizations like Student Council and Residence Life need to provide access to information on college honor societies so that students can decide which ones are worthwhile.

Probably the most well-known college honor society is Phi Beta Kappa. The University chapter elects new members, brings in speakers to Grounds, and gives out book prizes to faculty. The national chapter generally works to recognize achievement and support the liberal arts. Yet despite its prestigious history, on some campuses up to 50 percent of students offered membership reject it.

There also are the honor fraternities, which have "rush" like traditional fraternities but have a minimum GPA, are highly active in volunteer work, and usually are co-ed. Because they are more visible, these are much easier for students to evaluate.

• The Phi Beta Kappa Society
  • Golden Key International Honor Society
  • In recent years, several groups have sprung up that have raised questions because of their business-like organization. These groups, such as the Golden Key International Honour Society, have been denied membership in the Association of College Honor Societies, an umbrella group that maintains standards. Called "Honor Lite" by some of its detractors, Golden Key nevertheless has numerous chapters internationally. Some of these have innovative volunteer programs, but others are more for show. The Association denied Golden Key membership largely because of questions about Golden Key's national organization, but it may well turn out to become a prestigious society.

Then there are the scams that prey on resume builders. Both on the high school and college level, the problem of "honor society mills" has grown over the last several years, largely aided by the Internet ("Honor Society Mills Flourish Online," Chronicle of Higher Education, March 22). The Association of College Honor Societies currently is trying to make college presidents more aware of fraud.

The executive director of Alpha Lambda Delta, a member society of the Association of College Honor Societies, decided to test one group, the American Scholars National Honor Society, by trying to sign up her 10 year-old son. She succeeded by paying $50 and completing an "online integrity oath" that the information is accurate. The kid isn't even in high school, but he was accepted.

The proliferation of honor societies, whether old and prestigious, interesting upstarts or complete scams, puts students in a difficult position of trying to evaluate them with little information. Many receive so many offers that they don't take good ones seriously.

This difficulty contrasts with honor fraternities, which have highly visible projects and recruit through students, not impersonal letters. Almost everyone at the University has seen Alpha Phi Omega and Phi Sigma Pi tabling for charity events and fundraisers. Prospective members of these groups know what they're considering.

Knowledge of the groups is particularly important with newer societies whose quality of organization and activities differ widely across different schools. Such knowledge, however, is difficult to obtain. Golden Key, for example, may be a worthwhile group, but it's hard to tell because the Web site hasn't been updated in three years.

There are different ways to accomplish disseminating information. Legitimate societies can distinguish themselves through visibility campaigns, as opposed to simply letting the school furnish names to the national organization, which sends out letters to students.

Perhaps a better way, however, is for impartial student groups to help students get informed. Faculty advisers exist, but their job is primarily to assist the organizations, not to do publicity. But both Student Council and Residence Life routinely take on the responsibility of giving information to students on both good opportunities and scams to avoid.

Council could put on a program, or ask the Parents Program to sponsor one. Resident Assistants and Resident Coordinators also could be a good source of information, as they are already expected to be sources of information about resources across the University.

At a prestigious university like this one, students need sources to help them evaluate the numerous honor societies soliciting their membership. Students who are strapped for time and money need help to avoid getting scammed or passing up great opportunities.

(Elizabeth Managan's column appears Wednesdays in The Cavalier Daily. She can be reached at emanagan@cavalierdaily.com.)