Governor's conference highlights Baliles' career

About 350 of the Commonwealth's top political officers, staffers, reporters and pundits came together at the fifth-annual Virginia Governor's Conference held July 18 and 19 to honor former Democratic Gov. Gerald L. Baliles.

The annual conference, which is sponsored by the University's Center for Politics and the Weldon Cooper Center for Public Service, was held this year at the Boar's Head Inn.

Each year, the conference focuses specifically on the term of one former Virginia governor to discuss the accomplishments of his administration and apply the lessons of each administration to current political problems.

The conference is designed to "bring together the cabinet officers, gubernatorial staffers and the governor himself to comment about his administration and current issues," said Politics Prof. Larry J. Sabato, who directs the Center for Politics.

The Baliles' Conference focused primarily on the former governor's "investments in transportation, education and international trade," Sabato said.

According to Conference coordinator Joshua Scott, Baliles' term, from 1986-1990, was characterized by numerous policy accomplishments, most notably his work on Virginia's transportation problems.

During his term, Baliles raised taxes in order to provide over $400 million worth of transportation improvements throughout the state.

According to Scott, one of Baliles' strongest messages lies in his belief that although it is not politically popular to raise taxes, sometimes it's the right thing to do.

"His example will be one that will probably be followed in the future," Scott said.

Baliles applied his message to current problems facing Virginia, voicing his support of the two regional sales tax referendums for transportation in Northern Virginia and Hampton Roads.

Among Baliles' other legacies are his generous funding contributions to primary, secondary and higher education across the state.

The former governor also "undertook many trade missions abroad to bring foreign jobs to Virginia and to connect markets abroad to Virginia products," Sabato said.

In addition, the conference will provide the basis for a documentary filmed in conjunction with PBS, Scott said.

Called "No Higher Honor," the hour-long documentary on Baliles will air next spring. Many of the interviews that will be included in the documentary were filmed at the conference.

Among those in attendance at the conference were former Republican Gov. Linwood Holton, who served from 1970-1974, current Lt. Gov. Tim Kaine, numerous members of the General Assembly, legislators, lobbyists and reporters that have covered Virginia politics.

Next year's conference will focus on the administration of Douglas Wilder, who served as governor of Virginia from 1990 to 1994.Scott said he expects the sixth annual conference to be "yet another historic program" as Wilder was the first African-American governor elected in the nation.