A Generation Changed?

Alarm clocks buzzed in residences around the city, pulling sleepy Americans out of bed to start a new day. Many began their morning rituals -- making breakfast, brushing teeth -- before heading out for the day's adventures.

But the quiet of the morning in this American town would not last for long. An event that few could have imagined struck the city -- shattering the confidence of not only those in the area, but also of people around the nation.

The attack came in waves, taking civilians and military personnel completely by surprise. By the end of the day, the number feared dead and wounded would reach into the thousands, the destruction of property would be unimaginable and a president would face the task of offering comfort and support to a wounded nation.

To many Americans, the events described above seem like something taken right out of a newsreel of the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks on New York City and the Pentagon. But in fact, the scene bears a striking resemblance to another event in American history -- the Dec. 7, 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor.

Although 60 years separate the two events, there are many similarities between not only the attacks themselves, but also America's reaction to them.

Just as on Sept. 11, innocent Americans went to work that morning. But instead of grabbing cafe mochas and heading off to a desk job, they got ready for Sunday Mass or daily chores on the battleships. At 7:55 a.m. a fleet of 353 Japanese aircraft attacked the battleships in the harbor as well as nearby airfields.

By the end of the day several of the battleships had been sunk or capsized. And the dead and wounded numbered in the thousands. The events of the day would propel America into a world-wide conflict that would only end with more destruction.

President Franklin D. Roosevelt echoed the sentiments of people around the nation when he declared Dec. 7, 1941 as "a date that would live in infamy."

A nation changed

Many historians view the attack on Pearl Harbor as a turning point in American history because it set off a chain of events that resulted in America's involvement in World War IIas well as the United States' role in the Cold War. But according to some scholars, more changed that day than just the course of American history. American citizens were forever changed in how they viewed themselves, the government and the world.

The country was now faced with a government that had to be involved in all parts of life as the nation prepared for war. People had to rely more than ever on political leaders to get information.

"During these types of times, much of the information needed to make decisions is not accessible" to the average American, Assoc. History Prof. Brian Balogh said. "It tends to make people rely on people who have national security clearance" for the answers to the questions on everyone's mind. Citizens knew they needed protection. But they could not do it on their own causing them to look to political leaders for comfort.

But with this increased dependence also came drawbacks.

"There are classic tradeoffs between civil liberties and protection," Balogh said. Americans had to implicitly trust that the government was working in their best interest.

But the American ideal of freedom often was tested as citizens dealt with incidents such as the use of Japanese internment camps.

As Americans adjusted to their changing relationship with the government, they also made personal decisions that changed the way most people viewed their role in society.

According to Asst. Psychology Prof. Jonathan Haidt, the experience of Pearl Harbor along with four subsequent years of war forever changed the generation that remembers the infamous day.

The wartime generation went into battle, sent sons across the Atlantic and even watched their mothers go off to work.

"Everyone was united in a common sense of patriotism," Haidt said.

There was an increase in social capital -- or the length to which people are willing to contribute. Citizens joined the military, signed up for civic organizations and participated in the political system, Haidt said.

This, in turn, made the World War II generation one with a greater sense of responsibility especially in regard to civic participation, Haidt added.

"It made them the greatest generation," Haidt said.

The past relived?

To someone looking back, it seems that Pearl Harbor sparked a change in American mentality toward their government, foreign nations and themselves as individuals.

With Sept. 11 being called by some the Pearl Harbor of our generation, it would seem that we too should experience some type of drastic change resulting in a realignment of priorities and a shift in American culture.

But has this been the case?

Admittedly, in the month following the attacks there was a patriotic outcry with a range of outcomes -- some looked for revenge and others looked for comfort. American flags and New York Fire Department paraphernalia sold like hot cakes. And Americans went in droves to give blood, donate to charities or provide other volunteer efforts.

But now -- a year later -- corporate scandals, priest corruption and news of celebrities' personal lives have eclipsed America's concentration on fighting the "War on Terror."

It seems to me that "daily life at U.Va has not changed in some fundamental way as a consequence of 9-11," Economics Prof. Ken Elzinga said. "The Cavalier Daily reflects a deep concern about the loss of free printing. The Daily Progress reflects a deep concern about a U.Va. parking garage. We are indeed blessed to have such matters as these to occupy our concerns."

Whereas Pearl Harbor changed a nation, it seems that Sept. 11 may have not altered today's America to the same extent -- other than being bombarded by extensive media exploitation of the event.

We had no war equivalent to that of World War II. We had no over-arching common cause that held our attention for an extended period of time.

According to Haidt, there were initial changes after Sept. 11, 2001 that also were seen during World War II. There was a decrease in social deviance and an increase in social capital and volunteer efforts. But those numbers have steadily declined over the past year

"Personally, I think that things have gotten worse," second-year College student Annie Schutte said. "People may be feeling patriotic, but not necessarily doing anything about it."

First-year College student Kristin Barth agrees that the nation has seen little change since the events of Sept. 11.

"I think people expected things to change more than they actually did," Barth said. "Now they only seem to be using Sept. 11 as a way to justify opinions and beliefs that they hold."

So, maybe the world is not such a different place -- proving wrong media pundits who declared that the nation was changed forever.

"We adapt to everything," Haidt said. "It is very difficult to make permanent changes."

And Pearl Harbor seems to be the exception.

A rush to judgement

But upon looking at the 1942 edition of Corks & Curls, there is only one mention of the war in the introduction.

"This has been a year of war. The University has changed in many ways: we have air raid squads on the Lawn, and many of our finest students are gone to fight for our country. The integral part of the University, however, hasn't changed -- can never change -- it is always embodied in the spirit of Jefferson, of Honor, Democracy and Liberty."

Without this small blurb, a reader would not have known a national conflict was ensuing as they browsed through pictures of football games and fraternity parties. Where it seems there should be photos of University men clad in military uniforms there are men and women dolled up for dances smiling brightly for the camera.

So, maybe the Sept. 11 generation and Pearl Harbor generation are not so different in their reactions to horrific events.

Daily life continued unchanged in 1942 -- much like it has now. People went to school, kept up with chores and fell in -- and out -- of love.

"Whenever something like this happens, we assume that life will never be the same -- that we will always be looking around corners," said Micah Schwartz, Student Council president and fourth-year College student. "But I don't think people are like that and they will never be like that."

As in 1942, students today are still concerned with classes, friends and what to wear to the football games on Saturdays.

But there is some type of change.

People seem to have a greater sense of the world around them.

Although the aftermath of Sept. 11 may not be on the forefront of everyone's mind, it has changed their outlook. The Cavalier Daily conducted a survey of 156 University students to gauge their reactions to the event.

Out of those students surveyed, 69.9 percent said they were more aware of world events as a result of the Sept. 11 attacks.

"Americans in general have to have a worldly perspective," Honor Committee Chairman Christopher Smith said. "It's impossible to live in a bubble. It's not good and it is just not feasible."

Only time will tell if Sept. 11 will prove to be a turning point in American history. Just 60 years ago, no one could have imagined the course the country -- and the world -- took as a result of the events on Dec. 7, 1941. Future historians will one day judge our actions as we have judged those of the World War II generation.