Course Offering Distraction

Just when you've run out of good reasons to procrastinate, the University Registrar has stepped in and saved the day.

That's right, the Spring 2003 Course Offering Directory is up and ready for hours of agonizing perusal.

Fourth-year Commerce student Athena Ng said she's already taken a look.

"A friend IMed me last night to tell me it was up," Ng said. "I already looked at it. I'm overly excited."

Other students, however, have not started planning for next semester yet.

Second-year College student Greg Scanlon did not realize the COD had been posted, but he is not looking forward to reading it online.

"I prefer the printed version," Scanlon said. "I'm displeased."

Because of budget cuts, this semester's COD will not be available in a printed booklet.

Third-year College student Leah Sirkus said she did not mind the change.

"I never ever used the printed ones," Sirkus said.

Third-year College student Lindsey Guy, who recently transferred to the University, said she used a printed COD last semester. Guy also said she has some reservations about the online edition becoming overloaded.

Ng prefers the online version because it shows course listing updates.

"In some cases, visiting professors come and they add classes at the end of the semester," Ng said. "I took some classes this semester that weren't listed until very late in the summer."

To entice those who are wary, the online version of the COD has added a new feature: a key word search.

The search function brings results from both the graduate and undergraduate course offerings and allows up to three search terms.

Ng said she found the new search useful.

"I tried searching for 'evolution,'" Ng said. "It came up with biology and some other interesting classes."

Even without the printed version, browsing the COD is an ideal way to occupy extra time with an activity that can be construed as productive.

"I love the COD," Ng said. "I don't know why."