Sports in Brief

Evans named ACC Defensive Back of the Week

Virginia senior safety Jerton Evans was selected Monday as ACC Defensive Back of the Week for his efforts in the Cavaliers' 27-22 victory over Duke on Saturday. The league honor is Evans' first of his career.

Evans made a senior-high 12 tackles, eight solo, during the Cavaliers' victory over the Blue Devils. He also had one pass breakup and one tackle for loss.

Other ACC honorees are North Carolina quarterback Darian Durant (Offensive Back), Wake Forest offensive guard Tyson Clabo (Offensive Line), Maryland linebacker E.J. Henderson (Defensive Line), Florida State tailback Leon Washington (Specialist) and Maryland tailback Josh Allen (Rookie).

Women's soccer tops

Alabama-Birmingham

The Virginia women's soccer team defeated Alabama-Birmingham, 2-1, on Sunday at Kl

ckner Stadium to snap a two-game losing streak.

The Cavaliers fell behind early, but scored two second-half goals to claim the victory. After UAB's Jill Knottek scored in the 18th minute, the Cavaliers answered just before halftime with a goal by freshman midfielder Kelly Hammond off an assist from freshman forward Noelle Keselica.

Virginia took the lead in the second half on a Keselica goal off a cross by senior forward Alyssa Benitez.

The Cavaliers outshot the Blazers 18-4 for the game.

-- Compiled by Chip Knighton