Third-years apply for Lawn rooms, await decisions

Living in Mr. Jefferson's Academical Village, arguably one of the greatest honors for an undergraduate, is an experience every student has thought of at least once.

Last month, 243 third years submitted applications to live on the Lawn next year.

On Feb. 13 the Accommodations Office in the University Housing Division will offer 47 of those students a room, according to Chief Housing Officer Mark Doherty.

"The number of applications we received this year were very similar to the numbers last year," he said.

Although Lawn applications were due Jan. 16 and the selection committee finished their reviews the following week, acceptance offers will not be mailed until later this month because of other housing phases currently going on, according to Jasmine Yoon, head Lawn resident and Lawn Selection Committee chairwoman.

After all the application were turned in, the accommodations staff assigned each student a number before passing their applications along to the Lawn Selection Committee.

"The reason we get the applications first is so when the committee gets the applications they don't see any names -- just to make the process as fair as possible," Assistant Director of Accommodations Cole Spencer said.

Yoon said the names have to be reassigned now that the committee has made their decision.

"The Accommodations Office still has to match up applicants with numbers, and letters still need to be written to those accepted, those on the waiting list and those rejected," she said.

Those who are accepted to live on the Lawn will have until Feb. 21 to return their housing contracts, Spencer said.

In the event that any of the 47 students declines acceptance, the selection committee also chose 10 students to be on a waiting list.

Of those offered a room on the Lawn, "almost all of them will accept," Yoon said.

The selection committee is comprised of 35 students, with representatives from various student groups ranging from the Asian Student Union to Student Council. Graduating students also are chosen by a random lottery to be part of the committee, Yoon said.

The three-part Lawn application consists of a basic biographical section, a resume section for lists of activities and awards and an essay section.

The members of the selection committee, excluding Yoon as chair, each reviewed all 243 applications.

"I didn't get to vote because, as chair, I'm supposed to facilitate the process, answer questions and not influence their votes," Yoon said.

Each person selected what he or she thought were the best 47 applications and turned those lists into Yoon, who used a computer program to tally up the votes to determine the top 47 overall.