New leaders take reigns of ISC executive board

Five young women emerged as leaders from the Inter-Sorority Council elections Friday to take the helm of the 2003-2004 ISC executive board.

A single vote from each of the ISC's 16 sororities and a single vote from the 2002-2003 ISC executive board determined each of the winners.

Voters elected Phi Mu member and third-year College student Cahill Zoeller president.

Zoeller is the former ISC spokesperson. She addressed her goals for the upcoming term, including the promotion of inter-sorority unity.

"We have 16 [sororities], each with their own traditions, histories and bonds," Zoeller said. "The ISC will strive to encompass all of those."

Zoeller also said she plans on working towards "creating a fair administration for our judiciary system, and funding a new habitat house."

Voters elected Kappa Alpha Theta member and third-year College student Cameron Ballinger as vice president for administration and Kappa Delta member and third-year College student Sumter Armstrong as vice president for the judiciary.

Voters chose Delta Zeta member and third-year College student Stefanie Gitler for vice president for finance and Zeta Tau Alpha member and third-year College student Jessie Swisher for vice president of recruitment.

Among other goals, Zoeller also addressed maintaining strong relations within the Greek community, the University community and the larger Charlottesville community.

"We would like to further add commitment among the councils and build participation with the community," she said.

She noted that the formation of the Inter-Greek Committee last spring was a major achievement of the four Greek councils, which include the ISC, the Inter-Fraternity Council, the Black Fraternal Council and the Multicultural Greek Council.

The Committee includes representatives from all four councils and was created "to plan service and fundraising activities and foster commitment among the councils," Zoeller said.

She also discussed continuing ISC relations with the Charlottesville community, particularly with the Venable Neighborhood Association.

"We attend their meetings so we can listen to their concerns and foster relationships with them," Zoeller said.

Chris McGill, program coordinator from the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life, expressed optimism for the upcoming ISC term.

"The past executive board was truly wonderful and went certain places with new policies and ideas that hadn't been tested out before," McGill said. "Hopefully this group will continue that."