Center for Politics tackles Wilder years

The University of Virginia Center for Politics and the University Weldon Cooper Center for Public Service held the Virginia Governor's Project at the Boar's Head Inn from Thursday July 17 through Friday July 18.

The conference served to honor former Virginia Gov. L. Douglas Wilder, who held the office from 1990 until 1994.

The main highlights of the conference consisted of four panels, two each day, and one formal dinner.

Each of the panels discussed some aspect of Wilder's administration and life. The topics of the panels were "The Pre-Gubernatorial Years," "The Election of 1989," "The Gubernatorial Term" and "The Wilder Legacy."

The conference pleased those who participated, those who attended, as well as he who was honored.

"The Governor's conference was one of the most successful of our six governor's events," Center Director Larry Sabato said. "Governor Wilder is a history in the making, and as such we were privileged to have him and all of his key associates with us for two days of careful examination of his career."

Media attended the conference to present the historic event to the remainder of the nation.

"C-SPAN also joined us and will be airing the conference later in the summer," Sabato said. "We will be working with PBS to produce an hour long program on Governor Wilder, we hope in time for black history month."

The character of Wilder was honored as well as his achievements.

"He could charm the birds out of the trees," Sabato said. "He proved it again during the conference.He has a magnetic personality and seemed to enjoy himself hugely."

Wilder said he was pleased at the conference and the setting in which it was held.

"I was very flattered overall with what has occurred here and what took place here," Wilder said. "Our objective is open for a debate, perhaps a discussion. I was very pleased with the place."

Wilder expresses his desire to have more youths involved in politics locally and statewide.

"I would encourage young people who would be involved to become involved in their communities. That to me is an involvement in politics, an involvement in government," Wilder said.

He also stressed the importance of political involvement.

"Be concerned with what's taking place, how money is being spent, how streets are being paid, how schools are being constructed and funded," Wilder said. "Be concerned with the rivers being cleaned and the air being pure, to be concerned with everything that is a part of life. There are no sub standers waiting for some time to do that. I'm more interested in seeing more, younger people involved on a regular basis."