Schaub sidelined, Martinez to start against Gamecocks

After injuring his shoulder during the first drive of the Duke game, Virginia's Heisman hopeful Matt Schaub will watch this weekend's much anticipated match-up against South Carolina from the sidelines. During his weekly Monday afternoon press conference, coach Al Groh faced a number of questions about his quarterback.

He wasted no time in answering the question that was on everyone's mind.

"Schaub's not playing this week, Martinez is," Groh said. "What else we got?"

Groh, adept at avoiding controversial speculation, provided limited information concerning Schaub. Though he did not directly explain the severity of Schaub's injury, however he did hint that the senior quarterback will be out of action for more than just a few days.

"He's felt more comfortable each of the last two days, so that's a very encouraging sign," Groh said. "I wouldn't say it's a day-to-day basis, because it's not going to happen that fast. I would say it's an ongoing basis as to when he comes back. When that happens it happens."

For now, highly-touted redshirt freshman Anthony Martinez will lead the offense. Martinez did not put up the most impressive stats against Duke (6-15 for 76 yards), but he did manage to lead the Virginia offense to 24 points in the 27-0 victory.

"I thought the other night that the most important thing was that he brought his team home," Groh said.

Runningbacks, Defense, to carry the flag

After losing Schaub, Groh knew his team would have to rely on the combination of a solid running game and a lethal defense. He highlighted the vast improvement of both the running game and the defense at the conference.

"Going into the season, I said