Councils' proposals to improve Greek life

In a continued effort by the four Greek governing councils to strengthen the University's Greek system, Inter-Fraternity Council President Ryan Ewalt yesterday presented Vice President for Student Affairs Patricia M. Lampkin with a set of proposals addressing areas for improvement in Greek life.

"From the beginning, the four Greek councils and the administration have had very clear communication about this initiative," Ewalt said. "The feedback has been direct and positive and because of that we're confident that at the end of this process we're going to come out with significant and lasting changes."

The proposals focus primarily on finances, membership and alumni support of all four Greek councils, the IFC, Inter-Sorority Council, Multicultural Greek Council and Black Fraternal Council, Ewalt said.

Over the next few weeks, Lampkin said she, in conjunction with Dean of Students Penny Rue and Aaron Laushway, associate dean of students and director of fraternity and sorority life, will discuss each proposal in depth to determine the appropriate body or persons to whom each item should be addressed.

"They have come up with some very good proposals," Lampkin said. "We are pleased with the approach they took and we are looking forward to working with them."

Rue said she commended the students' leadership efforts.

"I appreciate the effort the students put into this," Rue said. "There's no question that student leadership is what's going to strengthen the system, and we really appreciate the thought and care they're putting into the myriad ways the system can be improved."

Lampkin said she will work with other administrators to assess which proposals might face potential roadblocks and which ones can be acted upon quickly.

The tentative date for administrative decisions is early next semester, Lampkin said.

"We tried to come up with a realistic time frame so they know where they're going next semester and to give us a chance to work through the proposals," Lampkin said.

In early October, an IFC ad-hoc committee drafted the proposals, which were then submitted for review to the other councils, Ewalt said.

MGC President Melody Han played a large role in creating the formal document, Ewalt said.

Han could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Although the ISC and BFC did not contribute directly to the document, both councils are fully supportive of the initiative, Ewalt said.

"There are many points of independence between the Greek councils, the administration and the University in general, but there are important factors [the proposal] touches on like alumni relations and scholarships where it is completely in the power of the University to aid student groups," ISC President Cahill Zoeller said.