Officers promote unbiased policing

The Charlottesville Police Department and the National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives held instructional training sessions last week in an attempt to educate officers and the community on bias-based policing.

City Police Chief Tim Longo invited representatives from NOBLE, of which the University is a member agency, to explain racial profiling and help train officers how to utilize race-neutral means of law enforcement.

"We care about the issue," Longo said. "It's important to us and our relationship to the community."

In addition to City police, other program participants included University Police, Albemarle County Police, Fluvanna County Police and other local jurisdictions.

Each participating officer completed an eight-hour class with NOBLE trainer Lt. Jerry Clayton and former executive director Bob Stewart, a former Florida police chief who leads training sessions on bias-based policing around the country.

The training sessions focused predominately on traffic and field stop protocol, as well as using professional approaches when speaking to community members.

The program is part of a response to mandates made by Gov. Mark R. Warner, who "made it clear that police chiefs are to implement policies to prohibit profiling," Longo said.

Another part of the program included a community forum held last week at Buford Middle School, the purpose of which was to enrich the discussion between the public and the police departments, Stewart said.

"That sets a stage for a joint effort involving the department and the community so they can have a better discussion about the ins and outs of bias-based policing," Stewart said.

Among those who attended the forum were City Manager Gary O'Connell and Mayor Maurice Cox.

Longo said he organized the forum in conjunction with Karen Waters, a 2001 University graduate who serves as executive director of the Quality Community Council.

"The Council is a non-profit, citizen-driven coalition that aims to improve quality of life in distressed neighborhoods of the city," Longo said.

University Police Capt. Quenton Trice serves as vice president of NOBLE's Central Virginia Chapter.

"The City Police Department wanted the community to know that they were sensitive to their issues," Trice said.

African-American Affairs Dean M. Rick Turner said he is pleased with the City's efforts to address bias-based policing.

"I'm thrilled that they are doing this," Turner said. "I just hope that we sustain these projects. Sustainability is so important -- we have to continue to do this on a semi-annual basis."