Speedy delivery, improved online edition

WELCOME aboard to the 115th staff of The Cavalier Daily, most of which was elected by its peers just over a week ago.

CD elections are pretty fascinating proceedings that demonstrate the enthusiasm and vigor that embodies its typical staffers. On Jan. 24, the CD staff elected a new managing board (editor-in-chief, executive editor, managing editor, chief financial officer and operations manager) and new senior and junior boards (assistant managing editors, directors, department editorships). Thanks to the 114th staff for a job well done, and welcome to the newest crop of editors to what should be an exciting and challenging year for you all, especially if the snowy first week on the job is any indication.

Winter weather buried the first week of work for the newly elected staff of the Cav Daily, making delivery of the print edition to distribution spots either late or non-existent. In Tuesday's lead editorial, the managing board opined on the icy situation: "Even if the weather causes a delay in delivery, we figure a late paper is better than no paper at all." Such was the case on most days last week, depending on which distribution site readers frequent. More accessible sites featured new issues, but some weren't updated at all, including the CD box on McCormick Road in front of the Peabody Hall construction, which held papers from Friday, Jan. 23, all week (neighboring newspaper boxes from other publications were updated despite the location). Certainly it is understandable that papers were late due to difficulties traveling through the treacherous roads. The CD is delivered via courier each morning; issues are driven south from the offices of the Culpeper Star-Exponent, which prints the paper, and disseminated throughout Grounds. By Friday, however, the problem should have been completely remedied, which, by example of the Peabody box, was not the case.

Even in good weather, papers are occasionally late to Grounds. This could be a result of a poor distribution plan, late roll times or courier difficulties. Whatever the problem, the CD should aim to deliver papers (excepting dangerous weather conditions from last Monday and Tuesday) by 9 a.m. at the latest to each distribution spot. It is frustrating to walk up to a box and yank out a paper you've already read. Last week certainly was a weather-induced nightmare distribution-wise, but hopefully as a result, those in charge learned the distribution ropes and will be able to prevent tardiness throughout the semester.

Although it was difficult to pick up a newspaper last week, that doesn't mean that the new staff wasn't cranking away and publishing each day. When the print edition is not at reader fingertips, The Cavalier Daily can be easily accessed via the Web at www.cavalierdaily.com. Online, The Cavalier Daily is also a great resource for University news and happenings. It features most pieces of the print editions and some special features that set it apart. Features such as the Faculty Salaries page show how the online edition of the CD can do many things that the print edition cannot. Printing listings of the salaries for all faculty is not feasible for print, but it's interactive and easy to navigate online.

The CD online, however, does need some tweaking. The look of the page is a bit dull and impractical and should be redesigned to read more like a newspaper. The colors look like they want to be blue and orange for U.Va., but they come up purple and orange. The navigational toolbar on the left side is a bit heavy with 28 links. The lower elements would better fit as a horizontal toolbar with drop-down choices underneath the masthead across the page.

Despite some cool additional online features, like the faculty salary compilation, others aim high but fall just short, like the course evaluations piece. It is easy to navigate but difficult to read the comments posted by evaluators. The A&E review database shows no hits for last year's biggest entertainment endeavors, including "Finding Nemo" and OutKast. An inquiry for rapper Nelly brings up the review of "A Beautiful Mind," a film starring Russell Crowe and Jennifer Connelly. The "Hoos Asking?" and "UVA 101" features both result in HTTP 404 errors.

The CD's searchable online database also has some problems. A student wanting to learn more about recent sexual assaults would be hard pressed to find out much by searching. The first answers for "rape" and "sexual assault" turn up as stories from 1999 and 2002. The serial sexual assaulter whose sketched face is plastered all over Grounds last struck April 26, 2003, according to police.

Additionally, sloppy editing online hinders the page. The front page of Friday's online edition included as its top two pieces the same article, "House of Delegates passes new abortion regulations," one with and one without a photo. That same day a headline for a letter and the subhead for an A&E story were chopped short online.

Hopefully, the staff has plans to correct such problems and make the online edition better mirror its superior print counterpart.

(Emily Kane can be reached at ombud@cavalierdaily.com.)