Where the artists live

Think the country's best artists only live in New York City? Think again.

Fleming Cunningham Lunsford has been around Charlottesville for awhile. The photographer who hails from Memphis, Tenn. first came to the area as a student at the University, where she was an Echols scholar. While pursuing a major in English and a minor in Studio Art, Lunsford was struck by the teachings of Holly Wright, a popular photography instructor who retired from the University in 2000.

"She's been a major influence for me and has really been a wonderful mentor," Lunsford said.

Lunsford's own stunning photography currently is on display at the McGuffey Art Center on the Downtown Mall.

Taking her lead from Wright, Lunsford taught art and photography in various locations after graduating from the University -- Northern Virginia, England and Switzerland -- but chose to return to Charlottesville several years ago.

"I had a wonderful experience at U.Va, I mean I loved it, but I found myself missing Charlottesville as much as I missed U.Va.," she said.

Lunsford is now one of many artists who thrive in the Charlottesville community. Although it seems unlikely that a city of just over 100,000 people could be a hub for up-and-coming artists, Charlottesville was recently listed fourth in American Style magazine's article, "Ten Great Places to Watch" for art locations.

A plethora of galleries is also a testament to the flourishing art scene in Charlottesville. One only needs to venture out to the Downtown Mall to witness the diverse display of visual art.

Take the Second Street Gallery for example, which, as a part of the newly-renovated Live Arts space, is hard to miss with its geometrically designed steel exterior and purple roof. Currently on display in the main room is "The Collector's Plan: Recent Work by Suzanne Stryk." The 24 pieces are studies of birds, nests, insects and other delicate natural objects, most of which are painted and engraved onto wooden panels with extraordinary detail.

The exhibit, however, is not merely a sterile observation of science. On the contrary, Stryk's artwork contains an element of whimsical surrealism created by the colors, designs and sometimes protruding notebooks and nests.

Tucked into the corner of the main room is the entrance for the gallery's second room, covered by a floor-length sheet of white paper. The intimate space currently exhibits "Trickery: A Meditation" by Beatrix Ost, a German immigrant who now resides in Charlottesville.

Her installation is a full-impact sensory experience. The warm smell of beeswax, a projected image of rapidly-moving bees and the constant sound of buzzing immediately confront the observer. Over 100 beeswax sculptures of human, cat and dog heads, as well as some that were human-animal hybrids, scatter the ground. These busts also have wicks and act as candles. Several of these hand-cast candles burn atop of white pedestals in the middle of the dimly lit room.

Ultimately, the combined effect of the installation evokes a morgue-like sense of the afterlife -- as if the room were the tomb of human evolution. As Ost said in the exhibit's program, the "humanization of animals and the dehumanization of man proceed in parallel ... The blending of species is conspicuous not only in the biological realm." Ost's "Trickery" is a wonderful companion to Styrk's "The Collector's Plan." Both exhibits offer sensitive, unique interpretations of natural life.

Located a few blocks away, at 211 Main St., is BozArt. Inconspicuously lodged in between the Mud House and Downtown Grill, BozArt is a cooperative gallery of approximately 30 local artists who rotate their work through the space. Each month, members submit up to three pieces that are displayed in the crowded, two-story building, in addition to work displayed by a featured artist.

This month the latter is Betty Beirach, another Charlottesville native. Her pastels and paintings are done in a soft light and evoke a soothing atmosphere. They are dreamy portraits of herself and others depicted with a particular care and intimacy.

Although the space is small, Bozart showcases an eclectic variety of art that much larger galleries would be envious of -- everything from abstract paintings to photography to pottery and sculpture. It's an ideal palate for those with a short attention span, and its brilliant colors and contemporary creations offer a taste of Charlottesville's personal charm.

Just down the street from BozArt is the aforementioned McGuffey Art Center, where Lunsford's photography is part of a show entitled "Mutability." This traveling exhibit is sponsored by The Photography Institute in New York, which awarded Lunsford and five other artists fellowships to study photography. "Mutability" showcases several pieces from Lunsford's pinhole series -- photographs taken from box-shaped cameras that the artist created herself.

The main room at McGuffey houses Steve Taylor's exhibition, entitled "From There to Here." Taylor, who moved to Charlottesville in 2001 from Great Britain, describes the display as "a self-portrait."

"It is about me rather than of me, except for a brief appearance as a two-year-old," he said. "Made of the things I own or have worn and the places I have lived."

The artist paints mundane, everyday objects -- ranging from eye glasses to various pieces of clothing to briefcases -- and transforms them into his own personal history album. He is no stranger to color -- deep purples and vibrant reds among others -- and portrays the object of choice against a simple background, creating a nostalgic "floating" effect. Additionally, every aspect of these dozen or so paintings are handmade by Taylor, from the self-stretched canvases to the hand built frames.

Behind each of the paintings there is a personal story of Taylor's. In a series of three electric guitars, each painting is set against different ominous backgrounds -- the sea, town and land -- which are indicative of the various places in England in which the artist has lived. Taylor, an avid guitar lover (though not player), deems electric guitars as "truly an American symbol." The paintings juxtapose the new against the old, contrasting a centerpiece of America with his British past.

After 22 years in the advertising business, this is Taylor's first exhibition in quite awhile, and also his first in America. That his travels and pursuit of art have taken him from "There" to Charlottesville, a booming metropolis of art and culture, is no coincidence.

The exhibits will be on display downtown until the end of February.