ETA tries again to achieve IFC status

It's take two for the men of the ETA Lodge fraternity, as they try a second time to push for acceptance into the Inter-Fraternity Council since losing their national charter in 2002.

ETA Lodge will place a stronger emphasis on its community service projects this year, specifically Habitat for Humanity, which the fraternity became involved with last year, ETA Lodge President Tyler Cain said.

ETA Lodge is currently in the process of organizing a golf tournament set for late October. The fraternity plans to invite all IFC fraternities to participate.

"It's for a good cause -- all the money raised will go towards Habitat for Humanity -- and it will be a great opportunity for members of the IFC fraternities to see what ETA Lodge is all about," Cain said.

ETA Lodge currently boasts 30 members. The size of its pledge classes has diminished each year since the fraternity lost its IFC status.

"Our number one reason for applying for IFC status is exposure in the University community and the benefits that come as a result of that," Cain said.

Cain added that being a member of IFC helps with exposure during the recruitment period and the organizational backing is beneficial during bad times.

ETA Lodge, formerly called Phi Kappa Sigma fraternity, had its charter revoked in the summer of 2002 for violating the national alcohol-free housing regulations.

In the fall of 2002, Student Council granted ETA Lodge CIO status. ETA Lodge sought the designation in an attempt to regain acceptance to the IFC. But their first attempt to join the IFC failed in November 2003 when they did not meet standards for re-admission set out by the IFC Judicial Council bylaws.

ETA Lodge has no plans to associate with Phi Kappa Sigma on a national level and will apply for IFC status as an independent local fraternity.

Currently the only independent, local fraternity in the IFC is Phi Society.

A non-nationally affiliated fraternity must first meet 16 special standards, including proof of CIO status and legal and financial responsibility, before coming up for evaluation with the President's Council. After the initial evaluation, fraternities must approach the President's Council for pre-sponsorship status with the IFC, the first step in the re-admittance process.

"The Council has the power to admit or reject a fraternity with a two-thirds vote," IFC President David Bowman said.

No date has been set for the re-admittance process for ETA Lodge.