University repairs faulty stadium seats

During Saturday's football game against the University of North Carolina, approximately 3,200 seats in Scott Stadium's west side upper deck became loose and unstable.

The seat defect was first noted at the start of the second quarter. After it was brought to the attention of stadium officials, more than 1,000 fans seated in the area were relocated at halftime.

The stadium staff "tried to put as many fans as they could in empty seats" that were not claimed by ticket holders, according to Kathleen Valenzi, news editor for University News Services.

Because of the game's sellout crowd, additional seating for the affected fans was limited. Some of the affected seat holders who were unable to find additional seating left the stadium, University Athletic Director Craig Littlepage said.

Other patrons resorted to using plastic drink crates to prop up the broken bleachers, and some remained in the seats that were not extensively damaged, Littlepage said.

Repairs to the bleachers began Monday morning and are expected to be completed in time for Saturday's football game against the University of Akron.

The affected area includes sections 530 through 536. According to the Scott Stadium seating diagram, portions of these sections are designated for priority seating, faculty/staff seating and "renewing season tickets."

Many of the fans in this area are "loyal faculty members or University donors," Littlepage said.

In compensation for their trouble and loss of seating, ticket holders in the affected sections will each be offered the choice of a $40 gift certificate for stadium merchandise or a $35 refund for the ticket. Details will be e-mailed to the ticket holders beginning today, and letters will be sent to them later this week.

During Scott Stadium's renovation over the summer, seats in the west side upper deck portion were removed in order to repair the concrete under them; these seats were later reinstalled. The defective seats had been secured by bolts and epoxy, a strong chemical adhesive, which may have failed to secure the seats, according to University News Services.

"The weight of the fans pulled the bolts and anchors out of the cement holding the seats," Littlepage said.

Despite the unfavorable circumstances, many fans praised the staff's handling of the situation. The staff in turn lauded the cooperation and patience of the Cavalier supporters during the seating mishap.

Littlepage noted that stadium staff members and fans "all rallied together" to deal with the problem.