Alston's trial for murder begins today

The trial of former University student Andrew Alston, who stands accused of second-degree murder in charges related to the Nov. 8, 2003 stabbing death of Charlottesville resident Walker Sisk, will begin today.

Alston will be tried at the Charlottesville Circuit Court with Judge Edward L. Hogshire presiding over the trial.

Today's proceedings will begin at 9:30 a.m. and are expected to include the completion of jury selection and possibly the introduction of evidence and witnesses, according to Assistant Commonwealth Attorney Jon Zug.

Zug said he expects the trial to end as early as Tuesday. He declined to comment on the specifics of the prosecution's case.

Alston's attorney John Zwerling said he will argue that Alston acted in self defense and believed his life was threatened. A weapon was not recovered from the crime scene on the Corner, near the intersection of 14th and Wertland Streets.

Zwerling declined to comment on potential defense witnesses and whether or not Alston plans to testify in his own defense.

"Anything is possible," he said. "I'm optimistic because the facts will bear out our defense."

Alston currently is being held at the Albemarle-Charlottesville Regional Jail. If convicted, Alston faces from five to 40 years in prison.