Many alumni in Peace Corps

The University produced more United States Peace Corps volunteers than any other midsized institution for the third year in a row, the Peace Corps announced yesterday.

The 84 University alumni currently serving in the Peace Corps overseas represent the seventh largest contingent from any school in the nation. Among midsized schools, Georgetown University and George Washington University follow the University with 67 and 61 alumni currently serving, respectively.

"It's amazing that Virginia, as a medium-sized school is ranked and competing with schools with over 30,000 students," Peace Corps spokesperson Nathan Arnold said.

The University of Wisconsin-Madison, with an enrollment of 40,000 students, leads the nation with 123 current volunteers.

The Peace Corps, founded in 1961, is composed of 7,700 American volunteers working in developing nations around the world to improve the quality of health care, agriculture and education. Volunteers receive no salary, but are given full health benefits, a monthly stipend for living expenses and a small readjustment benefit.

Students are attracted to the Peace Corps for holistic reasons, second-year College student Jeff Barker explained.

"In a position of privilege you have a moral obligation to help other people in need," Barker said. "It seems logical to ask, 'What would Jesus, Mohammed and the Buddha do?'"

Barker hopes to enlist in the Peace Corps after graduation.

Some credit the University's culture with its success in fielding Peace Corps volunteers.

"The number of applicants speaks volumes to values that U.Va. instills," said Ethan Taylor, a 1992 University alumnus and a Mid-Atlantic region recruiter for the Peace Corps, who interviews University applicants. "U.Va. emphasizes multiculturalism and diversity. Cross-cultural awareness and sensitivity are traits I see over and over again in Virginia students."

Even with the many employment opportunities available to University graduates amidst a resurgent economy, Taylor anticipates even more University participation in the Peace Corps this year.

"I expect [the number] to go higher," Taylor said. "Over 50 U.Va. students have already applied. Interest is increasing exponentially."

Students applying to serve in the Peace Corps receive a formal invitation to serve after they are nominated and undergo a preliminary review, interview and medical evaluation.