More than just the blues

Nearly 40 percent of University students said they had felt so depressed in the previous 12 months that it was difficult to function, according to a 2003 study compiled by the American College Health Association. Although the disorder affects millions of Americans, the line between a bad day and depression is not always clear.

According to Lenny Carter, Student Health assistant director of Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS), depression is an affective mood disorder that manifests itself uniquely in each individual case. Mild depression is associated with adjustment disorders, or difficulty adapting to change within one's environment.

Major depression, the form often associated by society with the term "depression," is the most severe and can be detected by means of a nine-point checklist compiled by the American Psychiatric Association. The list ranges from feelings of worthlessness to severe physical symptoms.

"It is a full-body experience that affects every part of your life from physical aspects to school to work to even social behavior," Carter said.

The APA states those who have suffered from five or more of the nine symptoms for two or more weeks should seek medical attention.

"Everyone has a bad day or feels blue for three or four days, but you need to be concerned when that mood doesn't rebound," Carter said.

Chloe, a fourth-year engineering student who wished not to be named, said she was diagnosed with major depression her junior year of high school after displaying several warning signs.

Chloe said she wanted to be with her family all the time, withdrew from social situations, lost a lot of weight and suffered from insomnia.

Carter said those who are depressed are "clogged up cognitively," ­­­­-- they have trouble learning, and often confuse Attention Deficit Disorder for what might actually be depression.

While many people assume that first years are the most vulnerable to depression, Carter said they actually see fewer first years at Student Health than upperclassmen.

"First-years come to college expecting change and transition, and they are more apt to handle it themselves," Carter said. "The largest numbers of students we see tend to be third and fourth years, who have anxiety about transitioning away from University life."

Scheduled to graduate in May, Chloe said last semester was her most difficult to date and that she began to display symptoms similar to those she experienced when she was first diagnosed.

"This transition phase of my life is reminiscent of the transition you experience your junior and senior years of high school," Chloe said.

Carter explained that although depression is often the result of predetermined genetics, there are many other causes as well.

Depression is frequently brought on by unpredictable external factors such as the breakup of a romance or the death of a loved one.

These factors, combined with one's background and subsequent coping mechanisms, all play a role in setting the stage for depression.

In the aforementioned survey, nearly nine percent of University students responded that they have seriously considered or attempted suicide.

Experts say if someone makes a statement about seriously ending their life it is important to step in forcefully -- especially as 95 percent of those who commit suicide suffered from mental illnesses such as depression, according to The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.

Carter also recommended getting a third party involved, such as a Resident Advisor, a representative from Student Health or even a trusted professor. He added there is a raised consciousness regarding suicide in light of the two suicides within the University community this year.

But often, students are so ambitious they feel as though they can take care of everything on their own, afraid of the stigma attached to seeking help.

Experts stress that if one begins to notice a friend's mood and attitude steadily declining, and if the friend is displaying any of the nine symptoms, it is important to pay attention.

"Frequently, it is easier to leave them alone, but it is important to approach them and get involved," Carter said.

Student CIOs, such as Students for Mental Health Awareness, advocate the necessity for intervention when dealing with a friend who suffers from depression.

"We want to break down stigmas surrounding mental health," said Jessica Winkles, a project coordinator for the CIO. "Depression is a common occurrence, and you shouldn't be scared to seek help."

Carter said the first step in intervention is to question the affected friend, to ask how everything is going in his or her life. Next, one should make suggestions about how that friend can begin to be proactive by asking if he or she has ever considered seeking help.

"Depression is very treatable -- even though we have a lot to learn, there is a lot we already know." Carter said. "There is help, and it is effective."

University organizations such as CAPS offer therapy in individual and group formats, as well as medication. There are also four additional clinics on Grounds that offer psychological care through the Dept. of Psychology, the Women's Center and two facilities within the Curry School.

Severe cases of depression require both therapy and medication treatments.

"I didn't realize its severity -- it was my family who came to me, and eventually forced me to seek help," Chloe said. "Initially I was put with a therapist specializing in my behavioral problems, but that wasn't enough, so after a few months I was put on medication as well."

Chloe said she attributes her recovery to a combination of therapy and medication.

"The vast majority of patients will get better," Carter said. "It's important to know that you are not the only one -- a lot of students are suffering."

Chloe explained the insomnia, and instances of intense stress began to overwhelm her again this past fall, and noted her doctor recently increased her dosage of medication.

"I've realized that depression is an ongoing issue that I have to deal with," Chloe said. "But as long as I stay proactive, and seek help when I know I need it, depression will not stop me from living my life."