IFC Judiciary fills positions

The Inter-Fraternity Council Judiciary Committee appointed its seven executive board members Sunday and is currently in the process of selecting a pool of support officers, including judges, counselors and investigators.

A written exam for the selection process was administered to IFCJC candidates yesterday and interviews will be conducted next week.

The IFC is seeking to strengthen its Judiciary Committee by a series of education initiatives aimed at reaching all the individual fraternity men in the IFC, IFC President Ross Kimbel said.

The 16 members of the governing board have been divided into teams, each to present the new procedures of the Judiciary Committee to four or five fraternities.

"It is a major undertaking to coordinate and make all the presentations, but we have received positive response from the fraternity presidents," Vice President for Judiciary Dom Genest said.

The presentation will highlight sections eight and nine of the IFCJC's Standards of Conduct, which pertain to parties and social events and rush regulations respectively. The presentation also will outline the IFCJC's investigative and trial procedures.

IFC's main goal in the education initiatives is to create a sense of community and ownership, Genest said.

IFCJC has been undergoing a restructuring process started by former IFC President Ryan Ewalt, Kimbel said.

"Two years ago, Ryan Ewalt had a goal that within five years the IFCJC would hear all the complaints regarding fraternity misconduct, and this past year the IFCJC heard every complaint brought up against a fraternity, all 56," Kimbel said.

Kimbel said the IFCJC's initiative in hearing this many cases last year further supports both the Greek and the University community's view of the legitimacy of the Committee.

Genest described the IFCJC as a "thoughtful steward for the health and long-term maintenance of the IFC."