Welcome to The Cavalier Daily

On the next pages you are going to be bombarded with advice and wisdom from some of the best and brightest at this University. Although I could certainly dispense some valuable nuggets of my own, I would like to take this opportunity to ask you for your wisdom. But first I would like to introduce the institution behind the newspaper.

Since 1890, The Cavalier Daily (then named College Topics) has served the University community by providing coverage that affects our unique body politic, while also educating students in the art of collegiate journalism.

The Cavalier Daily is a fully independent daily newspaper. This means we receive no funds whatsoever from the University. We're an established not-for-profit corporation with the Managing Board, the five members of the staff responsible for the institution, serving as the Board of Directors. We pay rent for our office in the basement of Newcomb Hall. We do not have an advisor or a journalism school which watches over us. Unlike many other peer college publications, we do not have a Board of Trustees to manage the finances. We do it all by ourselves