Study reports merits of campus culture on student success

The American Association of State Colleges and Universities found in a study released yesterday that the most important factor for high graduation and retention rates is a "campus culture" that reinforces student success and promotes a sense of purpose.

AASCU undertook the study in an effort to understand retention and graduation rates of students at public four-year colleges.

"Higher education has long been focused on access, but lately there's been more of a demand to focus on success," AASCU Director of Special Projects John Hammang said.

According to the study, the most essential parts of "campus culture" in graduation rates are a sense that students can succeed, an inclusive environment for all members on campus and a "strongly held sense of an institutional mission that recognizes the campus as 'distinctive' or 'special.'"

The survey chose 12 institutions nationwide with traditionally high graduation rates or significantly improved graduation numbers within their categories. The schools were grouped under Barron's standards of "non-competitive" or "highly competitive" based on SAT or ACT score as well as GPA and other specifications.

According to the survey, only half of the study institutions had recently raised admission requirements.

"What really distinguishes many of these campuses is the pervasive believe that demography is not destiny: All of the students they admit have the potential to graduate, and they should all be held to high levels of expectation," according to the report.

Groups also were formed through the Carnegie organization, which classifies institutions based on the kind of programs they run. Minority serving and non-minority serving schools were factored in, as well as regions, Hammang said.

The institutions chosen were from eleven different states including one Virginia school, Virginia State University. AASCU sponsored the study with the Education Trust and the National Association of System Heads.

The University was not included in the survey because the University experience did not apply for all criteria. The Education Trust's general university listing placed the University's graduation rate for students graduating in 2003 at 92 percent.

"The undergraduate experience is heavily focused on seeing that University students receive a broad, academically rigorous education," University spokesperson Carol Wood said. "There is an emphasis on the development of leadership skills and giving student the ability to be ready to go into whatever field they choose after graduation."

Hammang said leadership from students, faculty and mid- and top-levels of administration were very important in the schools with high rates of success.

"If you have a set of values that is focused on student values as the most important thing, you are likely to have high expectations for the students and for the faculty and staff, and that's what makes a university a success," Hammang said.