Alphas activate dual-membership status

The members of the Iota Beta chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. attended their first official meeting with the National Pan-Hellenic Council Tuesday, cementing their unprecedented dual membership in two different fraternal organizations.

Alpha Vice President Gregory Jackson, Jr. said the dual membership will allow the Alphas to be involved in the general University community through the IFC and to work more thoroughly with the black community through the NPHC, an organization of African-American fraternities and sororities.

"It's important to understand we are committed to the overall University community as well as being focused on the black community," Jackson said.

The Alphas joined the NPHC when its charter became official Sept. 18. Last February, the Alphas left the Black Fraternal Council (now the NPHC) to join the Inter-Fraternity Council. They have maintained their membership with the IFC.

Jackson said the Alphas were not rejoining the Black Fraternal Council, which was the home to black fraternities and sororities at the University prior to the formation of the University's NPHC.

"It's a totally different organization, and the national support system of the NPHC is phenomenal," Jackson said. "We just felt like it was the right thing to do."

Jackson said that the Alphas are proud of their dual-membership status.

The Alphas "have historically been pioneers," Jackson said. "We've always broken new barriers and taken new steps."

IFC President Ross Kimbel said executing dual membership is likely to be very challenging because the Alphas currently have four active members.

"The two councils are structured so differently that it's kind of unknown how this will work," Kimbel said. "We understand that adjustments are going to have to be made on all fronts, but most of them are superficial adjustments."

Kimbel said the three parties will have to work out the number of meetings the Alphas will now have to attend as well as compliance with two separate sets of by-laws.

All parties involved said the decision would not change the relationship between the IFC and the NPHC.

"We are not serving as a liaison between the councils," Alpha President Thomas Mmbaga said.

Kimbel and University NPHC President Isaac Noye said the two councils have a strong relationship that will continue to grow from regular contact.

"One of the most important parts of my job is to be able to help bridge between councils, and we also have the [Inter-Greek Committee] that does that," Noye said. "That isn't [the Alphas'] job because we have many different vehicles for that."

Noye said he is optimistic that the Alphas will be able to participate in both organizations.

"Right now I'm just trying to observe and see how it goes," Noye said. "Because it's unprecedented, I don't really know what to expect."

The Alphas said they were confident in their ability to be active and productive members of both organizations.

"The chapter is committed to the IFC and the NPHC, and we expect to grow," Mmbaga said. "We will have no trouble having representation on both councils."

Mmbaga will serve as the Alphas' representative to the IFC as chapter president and Jackson will be the NPHC delegate.

Jackson said involvement in the nationally affiliated NPHC was encouraged by the national chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. The national chapter was a founding member of the NPHC.

"As the NPHC, we follow a national structure of the national organization," Noye said. "APA, Inc. is part of that national organization, so joining the NPHC is in line with their national initiative."

Kimbel and Noye said the IFC and the NPHC do not have conflicting ideals that might create difficulties for the Alphas. They said the organizations have very different structures.

"NPHC fraternities are more geared towards service-oriented issues, while the IFC is more focused on governing and making sure social areas are properly addressed," Kimbel said.