Cars vandalized on 15th Street

In series of vandalisms reported on 15th Street, side-view mirrors on parked vehicles were smashed off Saturday night or early Sunday morning, Charlottesville Police Sergeant Stephen Upman said.

Vandalism, theft and some burglaries have occurred in the 15th Street area recently, Upman said. The individuals who committed the vandalism are unknown at this time.

Second-year College student and 15th Street resident Billy DuVal said he saw the vandalized property.

"Every car on the sidewalk had smashed passenger-side mirrors with a large blunt object," DuVal said.

In the last two months, DuVal said his 2004 Honda Accord was stolen, his apartment was broken into and a DVD player was removed from his replacement automobile.

"The cops have said there's a wave of this going around," DuVal said. "It's frustrating to deal with on top of having to do school."

DuVal said approximately $1,000 worth of possessions were taken from his apartment.

"They came into my roommate's room while he was sleeping in the middle of the day," DuVal said.

University spokesperson Carol Wood said President John T. Casteen, III addressed the 15th Street area in particular when speaking to parents on Move-In Weekend, as an area where students should be very cautious.

"There have clearly been red flags raised about some activity in that area," Wood said. "I think that speaks to the point that Charlottesville City police and University police started their joint foot patrols at the beginning of the year to ensure their safety."

Upman said the district officer is aware of the situation and will check the area more often.

"We try to have an extra patrol in the area now," Upman added.

Upman said students and community members living in the area should make sure not to leave valuables in their vehicles and should keep their residences locked. He recommended that people with outdoor lighting leave it on so that they do not enter their homes in the dark.

DuVal said he is concerned about the safety of the area and was not aware that the area might be dangerous before he moved in.

"The rental company didn't say anything about it," DuVal said. "I haven't decided anything yet, but I'm considering moving."

Wood said if students are worried about the safety of their apartments, the University has a program in which an apartment inspector hired by the University can be brought in to ensure that rental properties are meeting standards. Wood said if students want to relocate, they should contact the Off-Grounds Housing Office to find out possible avenues for recourse.

"This is not something we're just learning about," Wood said. "These are neighborhoods that students need to be wary of."