Honor Committee seeks to address honor debts

The Honor Committee's Community Relations Committee announced that it was looking to address more than $6,000 in honor debts accrued by past and current University students at the Student Book Store.

An honor debt is defined as an extension of credit by a local merchant based on the retailer's reliance on students' adherence to the honor system to repay it.

"We're looking into the possibility of suspension and bringing honor charges against students who do not pay," Vice Chair for Services Trevor McFadden said.

According to Student Book Store Manager Jeremy Hunt, more than 80 students have incurred outstanding balances since fall 2000, so the retailer decided to bring the issue to the Community Relations Committee.

"Really we've never made an attempt to collect any of it other than sending out statements to students with outstanding bills," Hunt said.

The Student Book Store allows students the option of a student charge, which mails the book bill to the address of the student's choice.

"Most students have it sent home," Hunt said.

Hunt said he had the idea of bringing the matter to the Community Relations Committee after a Committee member visited the bookstore a few months ago.

The Community Relations Committee will not be dealing with all 80 cases right away, McFadden said. It will start by investigating 26 or 27 cases.

"These are the most recent or most flagrant examples," McFadden said.

The Community Relations Committee investigates the bad checks and honor debts of University students in the Charlottesville area, so Student Book Store debt falls within its jurisdiction.

"This is a textbook example of an honor debt," McFadden said.

Unlike other cases investigated by the Honor Committee, Community Relations cases do not automatically result in honor charges.

"Our goal is to get them to pay outstanding debts," McFadden said. "Honor charges are more like a last resort."

The Community Relations Committee also has the option of requesting that the Office of the Dean of Students impose disciplinary suspension on the student in question until he or she has paid the debt.

McFadden said students who pay off their debts promptly over the next few days will not be punished.

"The Community Relations Committee works to promote compliance," McFadden said.