More students apply to college online

Following national trends, 89 percent of the University's Early Decision applicants for the class of 2010 used the online application option, according to Dean of Admissions John Blackburn.

In comparison, 64 percent of all applicants for the current first-year class used the online option. The University first instituted an online application option in 2001, when only 9 percent of applicants chose to use it.

David Hawkins, director of public policy at the National Association for College Admission Counseling, said 57 percent of college applicants nationwide applied online in 2004, significantly more than the 35 percent who chose online applications in 2003. The NACAC has not finished its tally for 2005.

Blackburn said the Office of Admissions hopes to go to a paperless review system in the next two years so that deans will be reading applications online.

"We intend to continue offering a paper version of the application for we know that some students do not have easy access to the Internet," Blackburn said.

High school guidance counselors have praised the switch. Carollyn Easterlin, a guidance counselor at Charlottesville High School, cited students' high level of comfort with the Internet and computers as a positive aspect of the online application process.

"I think because we have a computer-literate generation, [online applications] are helping them," Easterlin said.

Several schools, including Case Western Reserve University and Wellesley College, currently completely waive their application fees if a student applies online.

Closer to home, George Washington University will charge a student $40 instead of the usual $60 if the student files an online application.

Currently, University officials said the University does not differentiate between students who apply online or through the paper format and does not waive or reduce fees for those who apply online.

"We treat the online and paper applications in exactly the same way," Blackburn said.